We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

KINGSTON DataTraveler 310 USB Flash Drive - 256 GB

Damarc

Likes # 0

Are there fakes out there in connection with the above? I'm looking for one of these and on ebay they vary so much in price. From about £45 to £455. I asked the retailer of the latter if he had put the wrong price on it but he says not. What sort of price should bona fide Kingston flash drives cost?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 1

The market is flooded with fake flash drives. Particularly of the higher capacity ones. One ruse is to make a fake drive which contains, say, just 1GB but make it report that it is, say 128GB. When you try to use it, if it will work at all, it just uses the same 1GB over and obver.

I wouldn't buy any of these other than from a reputable retailer. I've found MyMemory to be quite good. They have a 128GB Kingston at £270 128GB drive. But to be quite honest, unless you really need a single high capacity drive, at those prices you'd be better off buying multiple 32GB drives (some branded ones here from £19)

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

I was well aware that there are fake drives about. But I saw a 256 GB one for about £12.50. I just couldn't think of a reason not to get it. It took 3 weeks to arrive but it reports that 255 GB of 255 GB is available. I am certain it is a fake even though it has 'Kingston' and 'DT310 256 GB' on it. But it does seem to work. Have I done wrong? Morally I would say yes, but at the moment it is useful and I don't care, I am afraid!!!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It may be a fake AND stolen.

Be very afraid.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I reckon the old adage applies - "If it looks to good to be true, it probably is"

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

@Housten

Have you actually tried putting a large amount of data on to it AND also retrieving it AND verifying that the retrieved data is ALL valid?

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Batch and robinofloxley,

If you - thoroughly - read my post I said "Have I done wrong? Morally I would say yes, but at the moment it is useful and I don't care, I am afraid!!!" Which to my simple mind answers most of your points!! I have tried some large files fies on it but no I have neither retreived them nor verified them as I have more troubles at the moment, as some of my 'Control Panel' options don't work. But do I care?? NO!! But for less than £12.50 that's a risk I think that is worth running, although from the attitudes you are both showing you will probably disagree!!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think, whatever the econonics, to have such a big flash drive may be OTT, in view of the risk of losing data. I assume you have back ups, but why would yon need such a huge capacity, except perhaps for many films. My entire music is only about 30 Gig for example.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

john bunyan,

I agree completely, it is OTT!! But when I saw it, I didn't really believe it and as I have said before, what is the loss at £12.48?? [ And NO I am not trying to be a show-off or anything else - just a straight forward statement of fact, as far as I am concerned ]. I got it as a bit of a laugh, but it does seem to work and they still seem to be selling them - so I would suggest that if anybody else wants one they get in a bit sharpish because you never know when these 'offers' can finish. And before anyone else goes on about it, yes I knew before I ordered it that it was probably a fake, and I am certain it is, BUT if it works then that is all I am asking it to do!!

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Thank you, it's a nightmare to know whether you're buying a fake or not! I think I'll go to PC World. at least I'll have some fallback if it fails.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......