We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help required Windows 7 Desktop CD/DVD drive just stopped working

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello, and good afternoon to you all, my cd/dvd drive has just stopped reading any cds/dvds and I dont know why. My operating system is windows 7, and ive NEVER had any problems it was using asampoo burning studio to burn a cd, then it just sopped working, I desperately need to get this sorted ASAP,....when i go to start and type in CD crive,..it says windows cant open this file. CD Drive.link

Any suggestions please??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

AShampoo has locked the drive.

reboot and retry, see if it will appear in Computer

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello, fruitbat, i dont understand, you said that ashampoo has locked the drive, I have ashampoo burning studio 11, and ive used it loadz if times with no problems, ive restarted the pc, with no joy..what should i do now pls?? and why did u say that it has locked the drive.....have u experienced this before?? ive already paid for the software.....any suggestions pls advice??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Burning software can lock the drive to all other applications during burn operation , sometimes when the program is switched off or uninstalled it can still leave the drive locked and therefore unacceptable to programs like explorer and therefore the drive appears to be missing.

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect. This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/ works for W7 Vista or XP http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

or manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Fruitbat, as always you are a GENIUS!!! I followed your first link,downloaded the zip file, and I rebooted my pc and presto my cd/dvd drive is up and running again!!! thank you so much, i would have posted my response yesterday after i sorted it out, but when i tried to log back onto the site, it seemed to be down for a few hours and i couldnt log on, so I just went to bed, but once again thanks so much

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...