We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems with popular web pages

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

I have a series of popular web pages on my site that are listed in the top 3 on Google for their keyword.

I am unable anymore to supply what they advertise and will have to delete those pages, but what I am thinking is, if I delete these pages they will still be listed on Google (will they not?) and people trying to visit them will be frustrated at not being able to find them, is there a way out of this problem?

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
Ansolan

Likes # 0

Hi

301 redirect is the best solution:

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=93633

Visitors will go to the page you choose to redirect to, which should be a related page, for their benefit and for search engines.

Major search engines will eventually recognise the new page as representing the old and are likely to transfer any value that had in their terms.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Google will rapidly update its database to reflect the changes. In the meantime, Ansolan's suggestion for a 301 redirect is sound.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Spam,

FE Informed..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......