We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange phone call "your computer is getting slower & slower"

Adam Patrick

Likes # 0

Hi

Received a strange phone call this morning.

The lady I spoke to had a very strong accent (Asian or West Indian possibly) so much so that I couldn't understand much of what she was saying. What I did get was, she said that someone is using my PC without my knowledge and my PC is getting slower and slower, so could I turn my PC on and she will tell me what to do. I said I was busy and she said she'll phone back this afternoon.

Ive noticed each day in the last few days that when I turn PC on in the morning the Anti Virus (Microsoft Essentials its called) is not on !

Does this lady know something I dont !?

Does she somehow know my Anti Virus is off, and is just warning me ?

Stupidy I didnt think to ask who was or where she was working

Should I trust this person ?

Any help would be appreciated

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore it it is a scam.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Variants of this scam have been around for at least a year.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Like Buteman says: it's patently a scam. It's a variation of the one discussed many times on here where the caller directs you to the Windows error log and tells you that's evidence of your PC falling apart. Every Windows users has a huge error log, but it doesn't mean there's any kind of problem. In the same way, every Windows user always experiences a gradual slowing down over time - it's what Windows does - but it doesn't mean someone else is using your machine. No, she can't possibly know about, or have anything to do with, your AV being switched off. That's a coincidence - but one you need to address.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Pretty safe assumption that if "they" make the call, send them packing.

MS, most banks and similar organisations constantly remind their customers that they will never make first contact by phone or email.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Tell them you are using Linux - they soon hang up on you!

I strung one of these callers along for an hour one day - running Vista in a virtualbox with the network card disconnected. That had them totally baffled.

I am currently playing with Wireshark so next time I can trace back to them.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This subject as been flogged to death, and you will find many comments about this via a simple internet search.

If they phone back, ask for the company name (it might be Microsoft?), then tell them that you are not interested. Tell them to remove your details from any lists they may hold (don't provide any information to them),bid them goodbye and put the phone down.

If your are having problems with your computer, then tell this forum, someone will most likely have the answer, and for free!.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Check your options for MSE so it starts when you boot.

Re-install if any problems.

It is easy for these fraudsters to prey on people.

There is always something needs fixing on everyone's computers from the moment you get them out of the box.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's a Phishing SCAM, often they claim to be from some Microsoft Dept etc.

aricle in Telegraph

actionfraud.org.uk

Do not give them any of your details.

The scam works by criminals posing as computer security engineers and calling people at home to tell them they are at risk of a computer security threat and/or that they have errors on pc that they can fix for a price. If they know your phone number and name it will have come from a telephone directory or some list from the internet that they have bought/aquired in order to scam people.

To stop them calling you tell them you have got rid of your Windows pc and now have an Apple Mac or are using Linux. Then hang up without further discussion.

If you are worried about your MSE not running properly give us more details on here and someone will advise on what to do.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The last time one of these callers rang they stated that I had been having problems for some weeks. Whereupon I replied that is interesting as I have a brand new computer which I've only had for a day or so therefore you are lying.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Dont think you are being a smarty by stringing them along,your not,theyve heard it all before,just put the phone down.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite