We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband again, different question

destan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I have another broadband type networking question. At my place of work, 30 odd buildings on 1 site. I currently have a cable (RJ45)from an as yet unknown source connected into a Netgear DG834 16 port 10/100 switch. The 3 Dell PC's are connected to the switch as a Local area connection on Realtek PCIe GBE family controller. Broadband is available, however I have the following problem.

How do I find out;

1. The ISP
  2. The Tel number of the cable coming in.
  3. Where the cable is from.

I have a device: http://192.168.0.1/:* It requires an id and password?

The cable is routed along from the back of a main BT socket, as opposed to a PBX socket.

As ususal your help is greatly anticipated and appreciated.

Destan

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i would imagine system netwoked throughout the buildings so i would suggest speaking to your IT support people?

johnny

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

This is independant form the IT department. Just trying to garner the info from the pc.
Req ISP and Tel number connected on.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Netgear DG834 (series) Default settings

IP address: 192.168.0.1

Username: admin

Password: password

Function set to Router + Modem

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm not sure why you need this information if, as you say, the connection is at your place of work. The information in itself is of no particular use to anyone, other than your employer.

I endorse johnnyrocker's suggestion that you ask your IT support people.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"The cable is routed along from the back of a main BT socket"

Do you mean that is a Master BT socket (with it's own telephone number) and the Router is connected to it?

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

More by luck than judgmment I traced the second cable, that is RJ 45d to the 16 way switch, from the rear of the BT Master socket through the building where it is connected to the Netgear router I mentioned before, this is in turn connected to the face of another BT Master socket. ISP tracked down to BT Business Broadband, account details found and a BT Buisness router supplied by BT fitted. It was an AOL system that had been replaced by BT but there was no one at this location that knew anything. All your info is much appreciated and again due to your continued 'unsurpassed Knowledge, I have reinstalled the network and supplied Broadband to some very happy people' Thanks again Stan.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...