We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop wont boot

//adz_w///

Likes # 0

hi, when my mate turned her computer on it opened up on the dos screen with the option start windows normally she then tried to recover it with a boot restore after she restarted it again and went into start up repair which said windows cannot fix this problem she clicked finish it would blue screen quickly so you cant read the error code and start up again is there any possible way to boot or fix the computer ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes but did you run it with the /f fix?

maybe also try chkdsk /r

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

When you get to the System Recovery Options, wasn't there a set of Packard Bell Recovery Options underneath the Command Prompt option?

(scroll down this link a bit, Item 6, to see screenshot)

But in any event before that, try Command prompt -

chkdsk c: /f /r again (since the terminal is on x:?)

Also try Command prompt

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

also mentioned in above link.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Note: if you do get the Packard Bell Factory Recovery options, it wipes the disc and all your data is lost.

Don't do it if yanything needs saving first.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

thanks for the help i got in there but it blue screened and i think it wiped windows anyway when it shut down and then restarted "windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change may have caused this. to fx this problem" then asked for a installation disk which i dont have so i prosume windows was wiped

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I doubt it has wiped the drive. Just corrupted some files.

Do you have any music, photos, documents etc. you must save?

You can make a Linux Distro Boot CD and get the files off with a flash stick/external hard drive.

Or take the drive out and plug it another computer with cables to motherboard or an external USB caddy.

When ready, it's possible to set the Recovery Partition to boot manually (if it isn't corrupt). Use Partition Wizard Bootable CD to find the Recovery Partition then mark it Active and re-boot.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If W/7 boot to command prompt and type in sfc /scannow to see if it finds any problems.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Oops did not know we were on another page Sorry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten