We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Install OS on second HDD

hardtofind

Likes # 0

I have two HDDs fitted in my desktop.

1 = 160GB IDE

2 = 500GB SATA

Win XP Pro is installed on 1. 2 Is empty.

What I would like to do is install the OS on 2 and also leave it on 1.

Is this possible and if it is, is the easiest way to disconnect 1 and then install on 2?

If all this is possible can I easily select which HDD to boot from?

Any advice please? Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

Boot from the XP CD and it will run setup you shpild get a screen where it finds the previous version and asks

Setup will scan for previous Windows installations

Choose the location to install. Make sure you select your second partition (D:)

When windows has finished installing, on the next reboot you should be automatically offered a choice of which installation to boot into.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Oops just realised that your 2nd drive is SATA the XP CD will not recognise it -

At the F6 prompt you will need to load the sata drivers this is usually done from a floppy drive.

If no floppy drive then seehere how to slipstream drivers onto a XP install disc.

Like this post
hardtofind

Likes # 0

Hello Fruit Bat.

Sorry for late reply. Thanks for the info. Yes, I do have a floppy drive. Where do I get the SATA drivers from? Just download them off the net?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You may be lucky and the XP cd will find the drive, worth trying first, if it doesn't jut abort the setup.

Yes the drivers for your machine will be on the net.

Like this post
hardtofind

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for that, I will give it a go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...