We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recording from TV to DVD's

Wendy

Likes # 0

I would like to record from TV onto a DVD burner. My small TV has a USB socket as well as HDMI

I think probably it would be impossible to do this directly because it might not be in the right format or something??

Could I record onto a (large capacity) memory stick, then do something with it on the PC (which has a DVD burner).

I am using Win XP Pro but plan to upgrade to Win 7 Pro shortly.

I have Roxio DVD plus.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not sure what format the files will be in when recorded from the TV, Most PVRs use .ts files.

I have taken files from a PVR and converted them to MPG4 to burn to DVD (keeps 1 year old grandson quiet for about 5 mins befor he wants to change DVDs)

Like this post
Wendy

Likes # 0

Thanks I think I will have to try and record onto the DVD (I'm not even sure I can do that yet) and then input it to the PC and convert it to something that will play normally.

I'm probably being a bit thick here.

The recorder we normally use to record programmes has no means (that I can see) of connecting to a dvd to burn onto disc, although the manual mentions this. The only sockets are scart, arial, and sound thing. The dvd drive just has a usb connection.

The little TV I use upstairs has a usb socket so I thought maybe I could connect the dvd burner to it and record onto discs.

Does anyone know if I could do this, even before I start worrying about converting them!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Wendy. If you upgrade to W7 Pro and buy a TV Tuner for your PC (if a laptop a USB one is about £40) you could set up Media Centre Edition. I use this as an additional DVD recorder to my stand alone one (which is far quicker and easier!). I have learnt how to record TV on my PC , edit out the ads, and burn to DVD. See my thread below. I have Roxio Creator 10 but found the other free programmes better.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4118644/how--to-convert-wlmp-files-and-burn-to-dvd/

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The little TV I use upstairs has a usb socket so I thought maybe I could connect the dvd burner to it and record onto discs.

You will not be able to connect the DVD burner directly to the USb socket on the TV and burn to it.

You could record direct to a USB stick and when the program has fished put the USB stick into the PC convert the file and burn to DVD.

Make and Model of TV?

Like this post
Wendy

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat, Thanks for your replies.

Actually I have solved the problem in a different way. I have got a Pinnacle PCTV mini tuner, recorded a program on the PC, and then burned it to a DVD. I had to update the software for the tuner first, which took about an hour and a half (I have only about 1mbs broadband.

Then I tried the DVD in the small TV (Curry's own brand) and it works fine!

Thanks ever so much anyway Wendy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...