We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing Curser ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

Every now & then, I lose sight of my curser. It seems o.k in Word & Excel etc.

It 'looks like' it happens mainly on 3rd party sites, when writing into their forms (including PCA).

In this instance, I see the 'I' curser as I type, but if I try to go back a few letters, I lose it. Everything actually works,,,, but it looks like the curser has become invisible.

Any ideas please ?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Laptop or Desktop? Just a guess if you have a laptop but I suspect the touchpad. Disconnect the mouse and see if the problem persists. If so, you have a touchpad problem, not a mouse problem.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I mentioned the touchpad as a possible cause because you may be accidentally brushing your hand against the touchpad while typing.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again N61:

Desktop, with USB mouse.

Asus M4A78LT + 4gb AMD Phenom RAM + W-7

It's actually happening whilst I'm typing this. Now I see what's happening, I'm not sure if I used the correct nomenclature.

As I move the mouse, I see a moving ‘curser’ ?! As I’m typing, I see a different ‘curser’ ! I assume that each curser has a different name ?

The curser operated by the mouse is fine. It’s the curser ‘as I’m typing’ that seems to be faulty. As I’m typing, it works as it should, but if I stop typing, & use the arrows to backtrack or similar, it either becomes invisible or stays where it is. I say ‘invisible’ as whilst I can’t see it, it is there & working,,,,, but I can’t see it.

If I move the mouse curser back into the text, & left click (as normal) nothing happens.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In that case I suspect it could be your keyboard. Are you able to try another one to rule that out? Or you could try updating your keyboard driver via Device Manager.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does this only happen on websites?

It sounds as if the website is not responding. Which browser are you using? What adblockers or other add-ons do you have running? What is your download speed?

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

N61: I've tried 2 other keyboards with the exact same result. This only started about a month ago. Will look for a new driver.

W: All my kit is just about a year old after a complete re-build. I'm using IE9 - Google. My DLspeed is aroung 4500kb. (We get FTTC on 01/03/12 - yipp flippin ee).

It dosn't happen in MS-Office (10), but it does happen on most 3rd party sites where I need to type stuff in: mainly forums (PCA seems to be playing up today as well).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Trying PCA site in compatibility mode on IE9.

You could also try running IE9 without any add-ons to see if that makes a difference.

You try another browser and see if it happens with that browser too.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try not trying in first line.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

I tried not trying in first line - sorry, couldn't resist it !?

I tried typing from the 2nd line. It didn't make any difference.

How do I run IE9 in comp mode ?

Where do I see what Add-ons I have ?
I don't recall adding an add-on, but there are some automatic ones that I might have agreed to.

I'm using Firefox for this one, & so far it seems o.k,,,,, so it looks like a IE issue.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

I'm back on IE9 _ getting the same problem.

I'm running - I think - in Compat mode. Of course I do have lots of add-ons, but I don't know if I should meddle with them.

I also have IE9 on my lappy, so will boot it up & see if it's the same.

thanks so far

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite