We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SATA controller driver issue?

Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Hello folks Apologies for oncoming ramble, but hope it's relevant and will aid understanding of my thought process. I have an issue that's been ongoing on my desktop pc for quite some time now. The pc boots into windows profile page(XP SP3) reasonably quickly, but then once a profile is entered, the desktop background appears but no system tray or short cut icons anywhere for anything between 1 and 7 minutes. I've run all my security stuff on numerous occasions (MBAM, Spybot, AVG Free, Adaware free, ccleaner etc) and they have occasionally found the odd scrap, but nothing of any significance and nothing that has improved matters on removal. Mostly they come back entirely clean and find nothing at all. I found a reference on an Adaware forum today, where a member had exactly the same symptoms as me. I looked there as I noticed that Adaware was pulling 50% CPU usage whilst waiting for the desktop to load. And whilst this person did get advice from Adaware and also AVG to disable Adaware Live, it transpired that his issue turned out to be an IDE controller driver. I've just checked mine, although I have SATA not IDE, and Windows is showing an error against my controller in computer manager. I have a SATA HDD, but it shows up as SCSI and the error it displays in device status is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" Any suggestion please on how I can correct this? Thanks

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Typical!!!

Been struggling with it all morning with no success, then as soon as I post here I find a reference on the net that seems to have had some effect. Firstly, I am totally incorrect in assuming the SCSI controller was my SATA HDD, it isn't. My HDD is being controlled by Nvidia SATA controller.

I found some advice on a similar issue being caused by remnants of Daemon Tools Lite, which I had trialled some time ago, and later uninstalled. The advice was to check for a specific driver left by Daemon, in Sys32, which was indeed there. Once the driver was removed, I disabled and uninstalled the iffy SCSI controller and rebooted. Reboot was much improved and iffy controller is no longer there.

Hopefully resolved and waste of a long ramble. ;o) I'll leave unresolved for a while pending further trials.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded