We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anti viirus/malaware

grandmat

Likes # 0

Last week my bank informed me there were some unusual items taken from my bank account. I have AVG for free installed. I did a rootkit scan via AVG this morning and it says there are 3 rootkits. Tried to delete them, but nothing done.

Can someone advise me what programme to use and also which is the best anti-virus to purchase? Thank you

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

You could try this program from Sophos to try and remove your rootkits http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-anti-rootkit.aspx

As well as scanning daily for viruses with AVG free (this can be set up to work automatically if you haven't already done this), you also need to manually use the AVG scanner for rootkits, perhaps once each week.

Do you also have malware removal programs installed, such as Spywareblaster and Antisuperspyware? These can both be downloaded from Filehippo http://www.filehippo.com/software/antimalware/. Spywareblaster works in the backgound when your PC is on and Superantispyware needs to be used to scan your PC weekly.

Like this post
grandmat

Likes # 0

Thanks Kestral Will certainly use the links you gave given. Yes I do run AVG every day - but not the other scans.

Words to the wise!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers