We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

getting my index.html to appear as my webpage

especiallyunique

Likes # 0

Hello, fairly new to this. I have managed to upload my index.html file via FTP software to a web host. I also have a domain name. What is the next step to getting this index.html file to actually appear as my webpage when i load the website address?

Many thanks Sam

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

When you type in your web site address the index page is the first one to show. All other pages are linked to that one.

Like this post
especiallyunique

Likes # 0

thanks, but i don't think i explained it very good. i have my index.html sitting in my hosts (website) but am not sure what to do with it to get it to display as my main page when i type in the web address? how do i connect my domain to this index page? Many thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

For this to work you must have your domain name sitting in some web space at your web host. Once the hosting package is live, any file placed in the public_html folder that has the name 'index.html' will be loaded by a web browser when the domain name is typed into the address bar.

Have you paid for a web-hosting package with a hosting company?

Like this post
especiallyunique

Likes # 0

thanks for your reply, as it was my first attempt i have used a free host called nofeeshost.com. Is this why i am having a problem. I have uploaded my html file to the htdocs directory. Am i missing a simple step or am i way off?? many thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the htdocs folder is your root folder on an apache web server - the same thing as a public-html folder. Your browser should by default load any html file name index.html (or index.htm) that is placed in the htdocs directory (folder).

What software did you use to create your page, and how did you upload it to the server?

Like this post
especiallyunique

Likes # 0

thanks again for getting back to me, i used filezilla to upload it to the server. I created the webpage in publisher and then converted it to html

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The first thing to say is that Microsoft Publisher is not particularly good as far as creating websites is concerned. That said, it can produce a usable html file, and provided you uploaded your index file to the root of your server space you should be able to see it on the web.

In saying that I'm assuming that your domain name is being hosted properly, and is pointed to your host's nameservers.

Like this post
especiallyunique

Likes # 0

I am aware publisher is not the best route but just wanted to put a quick index.html together so that i hadn't spent ages making the site and then fail to upload it. After some more research i wonder if i need to alter the DNS of the domain (hope that makes sense) could this be the issue? My domain is with oneandone.

Like this post
especiallyunique

Likes # 0

using somebody elses words 'point my domain to my host' ?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"i wonder if i need to alter the DNS of the domain (hope that makes sense) could this be the issue? My domain is with oneandone."

That solves the mystery. If your domain name is parked with OneandOne you will not be able to see anything that's uploaded to a different host's server. You'll need to do exactly as somebody else told you, and point your name to the host's nameservers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added