We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ITV Player connection problems - Windows 7 PC

cazian

Likes # 0

I'm having a strange problem with ITV Player, on the main PC, running Windows 7. No programmes will play, just adverts.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with the broadband connection itself (Virgin Media cable broadband, using a D-Link DIR-615 wi-fi router), as there is no problem playing back programmes using a Windows 7 laptop on the same network. I've tried all sorts to resolve the problem.

The other online streaming services, BBC iplayer and 4OD both work, no problems.

Windows Update is fully up to date, as is Adobe Flash. It makes no difference if I turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (virus checker). The problem is the same using Firefox, IE9 and Chrome. Whether I connect the PC using an ethernet cable straight to the router or a wifi adaptor, it makes no difference.

Another strange thing is it will normally show me the adverts/sponsorship promos proceedings the programme, but normally, it will start on advert 2 of 2, 2 of 3, or 3 of 3, but never 1 of 2 or 1 of 3.

When the programme tries to play, it gives an error message within the player screen which says: "Sorry - An internet connection failure caused the video to stop. Please refresh the page to try again". Needless to say, refreshing the page doesn't work. Neither does opening and closing the browser or rebooting.

I'm in the UK, so that shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I can watch catch up ITV programmes via STV's own website without a problem at www.stv.tv, but they do not carry all of ITV's output.

Anyone any ideas how this can be fixed? There doesn't seem to be any problems reaching other sites and I don't understand why it only affects one computer on the network.

This has been happening for at least a week. I hadn't tried to use ITV Player online for ages, but I'm sure it used to work in the past.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly you need to update Silverlight, silverlight

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good