We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External caddy or enclosure for salvaged DVD drive?

br1anstorm

Likes # 0

I have posted separately on the sudden death of my laptop. It seems that a fault in the mains adapter spiked the power supply and wrecked the motherboard.

The repair shop which confirmed the diagnosis has kindly removed the hard drive and put it into a "caddy" enclosure so that I can recover documents etc.

I'm wondering what else I can salvage. I could do with using the CD/DVD Read/Write drive, as our netbook doesn't have one. So I would like to extract the CD/DVD drive and put it into a case/caddy with a USB connection so that I can use it as an external DVD reader/writer.

• is this possible? The DVD drive, though removable, has a slightly "shaped" front panel as it aligned with the laptop casing. I have browsed and googled and although there are lots of hard-drive enclosures, I am finding it hard to identify the right size/shape of "box" to house a DVD drive.

• as well as the enclosure or box, presumably I need some sort of circuitry or adapter inside it with USB connections at one end and whatever other kind of connections the DVD drive itself needs? I confess I don't know the difference between IDE and SATA plugs and/or sockets....

Can anyone help me with the search for the right enclosure kit, and - even better - a pointer to some sort of tutorial about how to connect it all up and turn the internal laptop DVD unit into an external accessory?

Or is it all more trouble than it's worth? I just don't like throwing out parts that I feel could be (re)used.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

More costly & trouble than it's worth, an external dvd/rw is cheap to buy, memory might be salvagable but depends on how old / make/type it is, or maybe sell laptop complete for parts.

Like this post
br1anstorm

Likes # 0

Markd71 - I was rather afraid that would be the conclusion. I have however found an enclosure that seems to be designed for what I was considering - the Startech SLMSOPTB - see here http://uk.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/USB-to-Slimline-SATA-CD-DVD-Optical-Drive-Enclosure~SLMSOPTB , and available for about £15 from various well known suppliers.

Any other thoughts would be welcome. For £15, I might try it....

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

You have a netbook so it wouldn't be long before the USB powered caddy burnt out your usb port, a new ex dvd drive costs about £35... Repair to netbook ?????. It's Risky !

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Mark - why would a caddy burn out a USB port on a netbook? - would the same be true of a IDE to USB converter - which I have just bought to get files off my old PCs hard discs - I was going to use these as a back up system (along with my 500Gb external HDD)

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Let's just say it's better that the caddy has it's own power supply

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Or is it all more trouble than it's worth?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laptop-Drive-External-Caddy-Case/dp/B003AV5SPS

Got a similar one to this, just left front cover off as not required for the drive I salvaged from a failed laptop (Acer).

Has worked well used on a laptop that only has DVD rom / Cd writer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...