We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Videographer in need of help!

SarahT

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I shoot weddings and would like to buy a laptop and an external hard drive allowing me to copy my recorded data from my SD HC Memory Cards onto the laptop while I am at an event. This will save me time from doing it when I get home as I arrive at home sometimes later than 1am. I would buy a lot more memory cards but I have a week of weddings booked back to back so a solution like this is what I really need.

I have met another videographer who uses a macbook pro and aperture along with a SSD Raid. As soon as he fills a memory card his assistant takes the card and begins to copy it on to the laptop, using aperture it allows him to also copy to the videos to the SSD external raid so he has two copies.

Can I buy a windows laptop and do something like this?

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Like this post
SarahT

Likes # 0

Hi,

The idea is I have 2 copies of 1 SD Card incase of hard drive failure. I had a similar product a few years ago which failed on me. A laptop with an external drive makes me feel a lot more secure.

We are a team of two videographers and every hour we use 32GB between us, getting the data from the SD Cards onto a laptop and an external drive allows us to format the cards and reuse them.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need a Laptop With the Biggest drive in it you can get all Partitions need to be NTFS if you do not the Video will be Split. Take care on the above as some Laptops still have windows loaded on Fat32 it as a 4Gig file size limit.Same with External Drive I use a Seagate FreeAgenrt GoFlex. USB is slow to copy to like External\ Drives If can find a Laptop a nd drive that supports USB3 go for that. You will also need Software or Video Editing Software to download the Video with

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Well then go for the Macbook and external

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As your main problem seems to be the safety of the video work, have you thought about using online (cloud) storage as a backup medium until you are sure that your data is safely in the hands of the customer?.

I appreciate this may cost some outlay, but it is an option to consider.

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

That's not much good in the field. Unless you payed for a mobile very fast connection like sat that would cost more than the video would pay for

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/797720-REG/NextoDIND2730500GND2730DigitalPhotoStorage.html

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Terry Brown - online storage of video whilst out and about is almost certainly a non-starter. Just think of the upload speeds and time that would take. The OP wants to quickly remove video off an SD card to two storage solutions. A RAID set up may well work.

Suggest that you need a laptop with the largest hard drive you can find and an external drive to match. USB3 or eSATA may be the way to go for connection.

Something like Hitachi G Technology may suit. More seem set up for Mac though. I've not used this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features