We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Google privacy policy

Laurence WM
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is this an appropriate topic for PC Advisor?

If so, could anyone explain its ramifications briefly, or direct me to a good article or forum discussion about it, or advice about how best to deal with it if you value privacy?

Is it a good reason to avoid Google Chrome?

Thanks, Laurence

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

It certainly is an appropriate topic, and you're right to raise it.

Briefly Google (the new policy doesn't just apply to Chrome) is not changing its attitude to confidentiality - your personal details or identity will not be sold or distributed to a third party without your consent, unless required by law. Google say that has always been the case, and that it will remain so.

The best thing to do is to take a look at Google's own FAQ page and satisfy yourself that you are aware of how the changes might affect you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Whenever Google is mentioned it brings out the cynic in large numbers of people - they alternate between Microsoft and Google as far as hate objects go.

The fact is, Google publicly declares its privacy policy in plain English, and you either accept that as being the company's policy or you don't. I've used Google for years,and I've used Chrome as my main browser ever since it first saw the light of day. I exercise common sense, and as far as I'm aware my details haven't been sold off or given to a third party. I can't be sure of that, of course, but I do know that I have not suffered any ill effects as a consequence of using Chrome, or Picasa (the excellent and free image management application from Google), or the Google search engine.

Like this post  
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks again, Editor. That's good to know.

L

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks very much, Editor. This is very useful.

I've read some worrying reports about the policy. Your referring me to Google's own description suggests that you think the cynical, alarming interpretations unjustified.

L

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room