We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD/RW replacement problem

The Boy David

Likes # 0

My 6 year old DVD/RW unit ground to a halt so I bought another one with the intention of replacing it myself as I'd heard it was a pretty painless process.

However, I'm slowly beginning to think that my existing unit is IDE (whatever that means) and the one I've purchased is a SATA unit.

Here are the two units:

Existing unit: http://reviews.cnet.com/dvd-drives/sony-dw-d22a-dvd/1707-3212_7-31206077.html#manDesc

New Unit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AD-7261S-0B-Internal-DVDRWRAM-Lightscribe/dp/B003SM3HH0

As you can see from the links the existing faulty unit being replaced is a Sony DVD/CD rewrite unit DW-22A and the one I've purchased is a Sony AD-7261S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Lightscribe.

The problem I encountered as soon as I took off the tower cover and checked out the wiring on the existing RW unit is that it has a whopping 39pin Interface Connecter from the MSI motherboard - but the new Sony unit doesn't have provision for this connector. The only input/s it has is for a joint Sata Power/Sata Data connector. The MSI interface connector from the motherboard first goes into a DVD ROM player unit which sits below the faulty RW unit in the tower and then links into the faulty RW unit.

Have I purchased the wrong unit? Do I need an IDE unit which has provision for the interface connector from the MSI motherboard? I get the feeling the unit I've bought isn't going to work correctly, if at all, without this significant IC cable being attached to it and I now need help on how to proceed.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

David

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm sure the seller would exchange the unit for an IDE one instead of the Sata unit you bought. I'd contact them about your mistake to see what they suggest.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have I purchased the wrong unit?

As a direct replacement - Yes.

ou can either send it back and ask for an IDE drive as replacement

or

A six year old machine should have sata ports on the motherboard, so a couple of new cables will allow you to fit the new unit. make and model of PC?

1. Open the case and see if there are any spare sata ports
  2. check what type of power plugs come from the PSU I suspect just white D molex.
  3. if so the cables you need are from your last link here
Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Or use an adaptor like this.

Like this post
The Boy David

Likes # 0

I'm just calling back to say a huge thanks to rdave13, Fruit Bat and onthelimit1 for their invaluable help.

rdave13 I was on the verge of returning the unit as I assumed I'd need a replacement IDE drive like the original.

But then I took a closer look at the motherboard as Fruit Bat suggested and eventually found that it did, indeed, have some SATA ports. The set up I have is a now fairly old (in computer terms) Evesham Axis Dominator 64 which has an MSI K8N Neo2 motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor.

The necessary white power cable was right on the money, too. So, by purchasing the power/data cable kit I was able to fit the SATA unit and it's now up and running.

onthelimit1, if the SATA port hadn't been available then clearly your suggestion of the adaptor would have been another option. So, I think we can safely say that with all three pieces of advice I had all bases covered.

It's great to know that there are guys around like you who are willing to give your time and expertise in order to help resolve these issues and I'm truly grateful.

Thanks again and all the best to you all.

Kind regards

David

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites