We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 want to format memory card each time it's inserted.

Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi my 2gig SD card out of my camera can be read/write to on my XP machine it is allso able to read/write on a laptop Windows 7 64bit but when i insert it into a multi card reader on my Windows 7 64 bit desktop it wants to format the card, the card reader playing up on the desktop sits in the floppy drive bay and is connected to the mobo via a usb header. Can anyone offer up any solutions? There are no probs in device manager.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Uninstall and reinstall the card reader

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ uninstalled and restarted the card reader is there again but when i put the SD card in it comes up with the same message. This card needs to be formatted before use. It is formatted to Fat and is fine on all other pc's so it must be the reader. Thanks

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Just found the disk that came with the reader the manual says sys requiments up to XP the reader is about 5 years old. i have installed the driver from the disc still no improvement, so go th start>my comp and right click the reader and choose open and get this.

J:\ is not accessible The volume does not contain a recognised file system. Please make sure all required file sytem drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Probably easier to buy a new £5 card reader.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

When i click format the card this is the box that opens.

Capacity 967mb.......It is a 2gig card File System Fat{Default} Allocation Unit Size Default Allocation Size. Quick Format is ticked.

Hi john bunyan i was thinking the same one that states Windows 7 compatible. I have had it lying around for a while and thought i would make use of it

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Right clicked format the card it will format it to only Capacity 967mb after the format it can be used fine in all PC's any suggestions as to why it is seen as Capacity 967mb instead of the 2 gig that it is? Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...