We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updates causing problems

pipkin

Likes # 0

Hi After windows7 updates have been installed (on 2 occassions now) I'm left with a white screen. Then the msg IE cannot display webpage. The diagnosis can't ID the problem either. My BT help-search also brings up the same IE msg cannot display webpage. On these 2 occassions I've had to apply a system restore which does solve the issue. As updates need to be installed how can I get round this problem. Any advise welcome. Thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Go to Windows Updates - Installed Updates - remove the recently installed 7 updates - restart your PC - reinstall updates one at a time - you should find the problem one.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The problem one you can choose to "hide" - it may even be that you don't need it at present.

Like this post
pipkin

Likes # 0

Hi Many thanks for your fast response & suggestion. The trouble seems to be the installation of IE9. Is it possible to revert back to IE8 without repercussions?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Follow the instructions here for uninstalling IE 9 and revert to previous version enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your PC. It isn't necessary to reinstall.

Like this post
pipkin

Likes # 0

Many thanks again for your help. Between my last post and your reply a friend suggested checking out IE tab settings. I changed "let IE decide" to " always open new tab" in the settings....and it's done the trick, all's back to normal. All your help's appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......