We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I regain free drive space?

FreMar

Likes # 0

During a Windows XP os reinstall I think I may have chosen a smaller partition on which to install to, as a Belarc Advisor scan shows that it is installed on Disc 0 (C drive, NTFS), but with only a 29.30 GB capacity and 13.39 GB free. An answer suggested to a previous post by another subscriber with a similar problem was to go into control panel/administration tools/computer management/disk managed and format, and change the driver number. The disc management tab shows that Disc 0 (C partition) does have 29.30 GB capacity but with 119.75 GB free, but I have no idea how to regain the unused free GB. What do I do next please?

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

If you was on Windows 7 you could increase/shrink the partition through Disk management but because your on Windows XP you will have to use something like partition magic

Like this post
FreMar

Likes # 0

Thanks c4rm0, will have a look at that.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps not the answers!.

But have you done a defrag on the drives. This might release more space!.

Also remember that what is shown, might not be a true reflection as to what is available, because some times there are things running in the background that you might be aware of!.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Make sure before making any changes you have not windows loaded twice, can you reed the free part of c in explorer. One other way is to start your PC with XP CD in the do a repair, after starting you will need to choose Install then give windows time to check the drive for all Windows Installations choose the old one the press R to repair most likely bottom one if there are two showing click it to select then press R

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Defragmentation simply moves files from one place on a drive to another it does not reclaim space.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Defragmentation en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Link doesn't appear to work. Try http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defragmentation

Like this post
FreMar

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for your input. In disc management, (via control panel admin’ tools etc), the various drives are listed in order, such as DVD and CD drives and also another for an external storage drive. The very top one, which has the XP OS in it, is listed as “healthy” and shows the capacity as just 29.30 GB NTFS. There is a further separate partition on the same line next to it (disc 0) that is listed as “Unallocated”. If I right click on it, there is a box which says “New Partition” which then goes on to a 'New Partition Wizard' box. When “next” is clicked, there are options to create either a “Primary Partition” or an “Extended Partition”, but I am not sure which to choose. My guess is that the extended one may merge with the one that has the XP OS on it and so create one larger partition, and so give me back the unused drive capacity, but am I right, or will this only make things worse? There are descriptions given for Primary and Extended partions, but I find them hard to understabd. The saying “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” comes to mind now. I would be very grateful for any further input on this.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Chose primary partition and then follow through the formatting process.

Like this post
FreMar

Likes # 0

Thanks bremner for the advice. I'm sorry to persue this, but having gone through the process in the Partion Wizard I get a box which has three options = "Assign the following drive letter" (H is offered),a box that has "Mount in the following emty NTFS folder" (browse), and lastly "Do not assign a drive letter or path". Again, I'm worried that I choose the wrong one. Thanks for anything more you can add.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)