We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Speeding up my PC

ponytail

Likes # 0

My PC is very slow at present and I would like to try and speed it up myself rather than take it to my local computer shop.I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 and it is scanned regular I also run CC cleaner regular.Can anyone suggest ways of speeding up a PC.It is possible there may be a virus or viruses on there.It would be nice to be able to do it myself.Any advice appreciated.

Like this post
matt2000

Likes # 0

No viruses. Use Advanced system care and defraggler from iobit.com and piriform.com. What os is your system using?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you only have Kaspersky give Malwarebytes a run to see what it finds.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Did you have another Anti-Virus program running before Kaspersky and was it removed properly using the removal tool from the Internet.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi matt2000 I am using XP Professional

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman I did have Bullguard but when it ran out I changed to Kaspersky.If it was not removed properly and it might not have been what do I do now

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You can do a search and type in bullguard on your computer to see what it finds if anything.

Using its own uninstaller or using add remove sometimes leaves part of it still on the computer which have to be removed.

I would try Malwarebytes first.If you only have Kaspersky you need something else to back it up.

http://www.bullguard.com/support/product-guides/bullguard-internet-security-guides/uninstall.aspx#

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Check to see how much RAM is fitted - right click My Computer the Properties. Although it will run after a fashion on 512Mb, XP is much faster with 2 Gb.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi onthelimit1 it has 2gb of ram

Like this post
Kalb

Likes # 0

You say you would like to try and speed up your PC......has it got significantly slower recently ?....if so then follow the advice already given If you wish to make the PC run faster than it does normally then with 2GB of Ram you could change the Virtual memory setting to whatever your machine recommends

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Once again if you only have Kaspersky maybe worth while spending £13 on the Pro lifetime version of Malwarebytes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malwarebyte-UK-Retail-PRO-Lifetime/dp/B0045R5VJE/ref=sr12?ie=UTF8&qid=1329561970&sr=8-2

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger