We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pc screen randomly turns black.

MrBench

Likes # 0

Hi, been having this issue recently, it seemed at first that it only happened while i was browsing the web,but today it even started to happen when playing games, its happens completely at random,it can even start at the games start menu. The screen turns black ( or other colour, depends on software iam using atm ) there is no sound through speakers, and the pc doesnt reeboot, i tried reinstalining/updating video card drivers,but no luck. I have a XFX 6790 card, Asus M5A78L MB, G skill ripjaw rams 8gb, and a 750 w psu, a 970 amd phenom with a custom cooler, and one of the hdd is a seagate baracuda, the others i have no idea.i would like to know what causes to problem, because yesterday i left the pc on for the whole night with google chrome opened and bf3 running, waked up this morning it was still running,

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have you installed any new software, hardware or updates recently?.

What's the operating system, you are using?.

What's the monitor type, make, model?.

Like this post
MrBench

Likes # 0

Yes infact i installed windows updates, 57 of them to be exact, other than that no. Monitor is fine, when the error happens i tried to unplug the monitors cable, it turned black and said check signal cable as it should do.But juts incase i have a samsung syncmaster 2333hd.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

57 updates to what operating system. XP, Vista, W7 (32/64 bits)?.

Like this post
MrBench

Likes # 0

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Ps: The keybord isnt responding aswell,when it happens.

Like this post
matt2000

Likes # 0

same with my vista 32 bit laptop. i guess the system hibernates automatically or it is a bug in an update.

Like this post
MrBench

Likes # 0

I set a system restore yesterday,after the restore the windows wouldn't start at all, so i had to reinstall the whole thing, i installed the professional edition of windows 7, but the problem is still there, i noticed that it only happens as i type letters in let's say facebook, and when iam loading/refreshing the page. Rand a memtest but nothing showed up,the event log isnt showing anything of importance, other than something about drivers, but those were updated.i honestly don't know why its doing this. If the pc itself wouldn't freeze up then it would defo be the video card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad