We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems reading SD cards

Pineman100
Resolved

Likes # 0

My Windows 7 laptop has an SD card reader slot that I use regularly (I am a photography enthusiast). Recently I've been having trouble getting the slot to recognise a card when it's plugged in "hot". Normally, plugging in a card would - after a few seconds - open up the Autoplay menu, and the card could then be opened in Windows Explorer.

Recently, however, when I plug in a card, nothing happens. I get lots of activity on the HDD drive light, and an intermittent hourglass against the cursor, but Autoplay fails to open. When I click on the drive letter in Windows Explorer, it asks me to insert a disk, even though the card is already plugged in.

However, if I plug in the card then restart the computer, I can then access the card successfully in Windows Explorer.

I've tried several different SD cards and the problem is the same with all of them.

Any ideas on how I can get hot-plugged cards recognised, please?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

One further thing that I've noticed since posting this problem. When I want to remove an SD card from the reader, my normal procedure is to right-click on it in Windows Explorer, then click on "Eject".

Now when I do this, I get a report that "the drive (F:) is currently in use", even though it's not. I guess this is a symptom of the same problem.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

^

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Uninstall and reinstall the card reader is my first choice.

However I'm willing to bet its connected by USB header to the motherboard, have a look in device manager make sure you tick Show Hidden Devices - these will come up in light grey - uninstall all instances of the card reader before doing a scan for new hardware then windows should find and reinstall it.

Lots of instances of the same driver occurs with devices that are regularly plugged in and out, after a while they start to clash causing the symptoms you have described.

Like this post  
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your response,Fruit Bat /\0/.

I've looked in Device Manager and found two devices that might be the card reader - I wonder if you could please tell me which to reinstall.

Under Disk Drives there is an entry for "Generic Multi-Card USB Device".

Under Portable Devices there is an entry for "F:\" This is the drive letter that is always allocated to the SD card.

Which of those should I uninstall/reinstall - or should I do both?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do both windows will reinstall if you reboot or Use Action - scan for new hardware

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I'll do it and report back.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Success! I started by uninstalling the Generic Multi-Card USB Device and found that, when that disappeared from my Device Manager list, drive F: disappeared too.

I then scanned for new hardware and reinstallation took seconds. The card reader is now behaving normally.

Huge thanks as always, Fruit Bat /\0/. Goodness knows how many scrapes you've got me out of, over the years!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014