We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP cannot find msconfig so Hattersley article no help

curiouser

Likes # 0

I typed 'Start, Run and Enter' but get the message 'Windows cannot find msconfig' so am stuck at this point and unable to progress with this month's R. Hattersley article 'Get a Faster Safer PC'. Can anyone help please? Curiouser

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

There are some other programs the likes of C Cleaner I believe or WinPatrol to mention a couple which you can use to stop programs running at start up.

If you have the proper XP CD you could run sfc /scannow and see if it finds any problems.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

A system file can be damaged in some way or another that makes it unable to start. I would suggest running sfc /scannow to let xp repair or replace the system files that may be damaged. If no joy you might consider doing a short hop restore. This means just go back in hours not days. Or do a last known good configuration.

If you have a Windows XP install disc do the following -

Insert Windows CD run sfc /scannow or do a repair install.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

OR an alternative would be to download the msconfig.exe file from this link and copy the file to the relevant location on your computer.

enter link description here

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried running your security programs to make sure you do not have a virus.

Googled.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+XP+cannot+find+msconfig&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you've got it on your pc you can create a shortcut and put it on your desktop if you want to. Or you could start it from it's location.

rightclick My Computer -> Copy and paste the following in Address Bar, click to go to:

C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe

select (highlight) MSConfig.exe and rightclick and create shortcut, drag the shortcut to your desktop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

typo: missed out explore so should be 'rightclick My Computer -> choose Explore

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like this free program will do it for you.

http://re-enable.en.softonic.com/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote