We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop will only run in safe mode

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

G'son's Inspiron (Vista home premium) is now so cluttered with extras he has piled on it it will only run in safe mode. (Well that's my guess) Have run full scans with Malwarebytes and Spybot.

Not known when it finally went critical. but can boot normally and then very soon freezes. Probably needs a fresh installation with all that involves. Tried System Restore with no improvement.

There is a huge list at Startup and I wonder how many of the file boxes I can clear without making it unable to load at switch on? Blackberry and some weird sdi10 both pop up during Normal booting.

He was using AVG which may be a culprit, but I am working in my own house and don't wish to alter his settings for Internet connection

The Start button is incomplete on "Normal" run and rebooting means turning off the power once seized. OK in Safe mode. Any point in running scandisk? Was probably run behind the scenes when recovering from one of its sulks.

I can rescue most of his data files and that's my current task, just hoping someone has a magic bullet?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

All I have on start up is my security programs .being a laptop you may need to keep a few others as well.

Go into clean up and run that and it will also show you how much disk space he has left.

Make sure his Security programs are not running scans at start up.Time them to run at different times.

Looks like running c Cleaner might help as well.

Check in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks beside any of the drivers.

Maybe help others if you let us know what operating system he is using.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Oops ignore last just noticed.Vista sorry.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it's running OK in safe mode try troubleshooting using the clean boot method, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 , to find out which program/s are causing the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should have added that if it boots up ok in the clean boot option then have a look at the various programs installed, check their options, and if there is a box for 'start with windows' in any of them then untick.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

rdave13 : I think you are there with that link, thanks for your suggestion.

Tried the first two auto reboots ... then it wouldn't reboot and I had to push the big switch.

I have to do a crash course in Vista as I go along, XP is the top limit of my experience and the time it takes to find how to do the same thing in Vista is not encouraging!

I'm also doing what I promised to do, in making copies of everything I can find on a spare external drive, currently just over an hour to go for one of his largest folders. It has to be this way in case I suddenly find I've screwed the whole thing. He does have disks for everything in that Dell package.

Will post an update when more effort has been spent. Bad news, Just checked and the file copying has stalled. Rebooting in safe mode .... must rescue the data first with this one.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

By 24rs ago I had enough. It was reminiscent of bad old days. Possibly an overload of inherently mild enough malware, which by the time I saw it, had something so corrupt or threadbare from every sort of cleaning device we were down to the boards.

I did collect all his old data in various formats some of which he will copy back as he wants.

On booting, Safe mode was fine throughout, but Normal persisted in starting, and then more by time than activity, dragging until it froze and had to be switched off. The cursor moved, would show the tiny circle but nothing else happened.

I had cleared 1 Trojan dropper (Malwarebytes) and 58 bits of trackers in Spybot. Had tried system restore, various repairs and so on.

Was able to run chkdisk with absolutely no fuss from the program, so able to reassure him that his HD was OK, but the numbers of boots, and reboots all with the password needed at every opportunity, time wasted if I expected a procedure to complete while I was away.

A pleasure when we agreed to use the ultimate Restore-to-factory-condition. It was silky smooth, and my grandson was quite happy to take it home to load the various programs and configurations he wants.

Perhaps the method offered by rdave13 would have worked given time, but this laptop was being revived 4 miles from home and I didn't want to meddle with his Net-related settings, which could have been at the core of his trouble.

Like this post  
matt2000

Likes # 0

he just slowed it down, i had this problem. click here for help

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've found AVG9 to be a shocker on low RAM laptops. The later ones seem better, though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings