We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Pricing Policy

Newuser939

Likes # 0

I have had line rental from BT on the same number for over 20 years and BT has been my ISP since the days when dial-up was the only option. I have had broadband from them since the maximum speed available was 512kbs. Because this has happened gradually over the years, my broadband (option 2) is being charged as if it were a stand-alone service at £20.50 per month, whereas (ignoring introductory offers) a new customer taking the same services as I have would pay £18 per month for the broadband. I am about to take the issue up with BT, but was wondering whether anyone else had been in the same situation and what the result was.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

They are open on the phone to haggling, or it seems like it at the time!

Heavy hint that if they cannot do better you will move elsewhere. The best you can hope for is one of their bargain contracts which must last a year to avoid penalties. I asked for another £3 less per month (nearly a year ago). No they couldn't do that but would give me a £36 discount at the start.

I still feel like someone who has "missed the boat" but I'm not sure quite how.

The service has been good and snag free. If you haven't had a shiney Home Hub yet, you will have one thrown in. "No" I couldn't have another chunk off instead of a second hub. They still sent me another hub anyway!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Newuser939

I am in exactly the same position as you. Same length of time, dialup etc. etc.

I am trying to reclaim some money from BT at the moment (engineer callout). When that is done, I am going after them on price and speed (lack of it).

BT are a total ripoff, in my opinion.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Research the Comparison Websites

Check your local exchange for those that provide 'LLU' service.

Then start haggling and maybe hinting at leaving.

AOL did same with me. I was on £18 pcm for years before I got around to needing a Wireless Router and asking them.

I didn't mention leaving and they dropped the price as well to £9.99 pcm. Retained Unlimited downloads but minimum 18 months sign up before reverting to 30 day rolling contract.

I see Tesco have just launched a £2.50 pcm (+line rental service)

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Bt will usually haggle if you threaten to leave them, if they won't negotiate on price they will often give you 3 or 4 months free service provided you sign up for 12 or 18 months. I did this in the middle of last year.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looking at some of the recent promotions that BT and other ISP's are running, there must be something seriously wrong.

It was only a short time ago, that I was looking at a circular about BT giving a £50 Sainsbury voucher on one of their new cheap deals. Plusnet at present (who are part of BT) are offering £3.25 per month deals, like TalkTalk. This includes Broadband, free evening and weekend calls.

Like others have mentioned, it would seem that it is far easier for ISP's to over free months if you threaten to leave, than reduced prices to old customers.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

The last time my contract was nearly up I rang them and said me local echange was now partially unbundled and I could get Talktalk for £8. They offered me Option 1 plus free weekend and evening calls for £8.50 which I accepted. I also pay a years rental in advance at £120.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

I was paying £16 a month some years ago then BT phoned regarding renewal of contract. Perfect timing, I was about to cancel and told the caller so, immediately he offered to have someone call me if I held off cancelling.

Next day, the call came, 3 months at a fiver or something like that amount then £12 a month after that. Could not do anything about increased download speed but they were working on it. Decided to save myself some hassle finding another ISP and agreed.

Two days later I receive a BT Hub as a thank you and the new rate kicked in for the new contract.

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

I got in touch with BT and they duly knocked a few pounds a month off the bill. The disappointing thing is that only new customers and complainers get the best deals. A company the size of BT should be able to devise billing software which flagged up when a customer was being overcharged for a particular of bundle of services so that the customer could be contacted. That would be real customer service and a wonderful marketing tool for BT as well. It won't happen, but there is no harm in dreaming!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......