We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I trust someone I don't know well with my new laptop ?

peterpepe

Likes # 0

The dilemma is this: I am in Spain now and will stay for a couple of years. I am going to buy a laptop which will come with WINDOWS in SPANISH. I know someone who said he could change WINDOWS from Spanish to English for me free of charge. But he'll need to take my laptop away for a day. Because I don't know him that well, what if he installs some keylogger or laptop tracking software, such as PREY (for locating laptops when lost or stolen), he could effectively access all my email accounts, passwords and all my web activity remotely. Any expert advise please?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Bottom line is that if you let this other person have access to your laptop, no matter what antivirus / malware checkers you run, you will still have a nagging doubt. Only way to avoid this is not to let anyone else have your laptop and use an alternative solution (as has already been discussed above).

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Could you not buy a laptop locally and try to have no OS installed prior to purchase, then simply buy a W7 OS DVD?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just to be clarify something. I have Prey installed on my laptop and smartphone. They are listed under the programs. So you would easily see if that had been installed.

A good antivirus/malware suite should find any keyloggers or other malware. I would be more worried about damage and no comeback from the person because they are not insured.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Another option is to do it yourself, if you are brave do a reinstall on existing harddrive, if doubts buy another harddrive and put fresh install on there, take the original harddrive out and keep it safe so that you can put it back in should you ever need to take laptop back to shop for hardware repair. The product key on base will activate English and Spanish versions of W7 but only for your laptop model (unlike a retail key that can go on any pc)

The Spanish W7 that is pre-installed will be pre-activated at the factory using a different key to the one on the base. This pre-activated key cannot be used for installs (it won't work)

The key on the sticker on base of laptop requires Activation after you have installed and you will probably have to ring up MS. (choose not to Activate when doing the installation, and then activate afterwards, you have 30 days or so)

How to install with screenshots http://windows7.windowsreinstall.com/

Download the .iso and burn your own English DVD and use the product key from the sticker on base of laptop

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links scroll down to 'English (USA) SP1 U (media refresh) versions and get the one that matches the version on the laptop (x86 is 32bit, x64 is 64bit) yours will be an OEM so don't get the retail or your key won't work. (the product key on sticker on laptop will be registered as an OEM key for installation purposes).

You will also need the Drivers from the manufacturers website.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

peterpepe

If you are concerned about warranties, why not buy a laptop with an International Warranty, or have a word a PC City if PC World/Dixons are still operating in Spain.

Another method, you could purchase a English version O/S and install it yourself. If you look at eBay, there are a couple of German companies that sell genuine English versions Microsoft O/S, far cheaper than other sellers. They have good feedback ratings, so perhaps worth considering?.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Is there anything on the laptop that anyone else would really want to access ??

Most likely there isn't.

Paranoid I think is the word.

I don't know why so many people are obsessed with the idea that someone would want to look at, the usually trivial stuff in their emails or on their computer.

If it is that important or secret then delete it !!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Any claims under guarantee would be very tricky to sort out because of the cost in post and packing backwards and forwards."

Spain and the Uk are both members of the EU.

The normal regulations apply, costs of claims under guarantee are borne by the seller/ manufacturer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia