We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I trust someone I don't know well with my new laptop ?

peterpepe

Likes # 0

The dilemma is this: I am in Spain now and will stay for a couple of years. I am going to buy a laptop which will come with WINDOWS in SPANISH. I know someone who said he could change WINDOWS from Spanish to English for me free of charge. But he'll need to take my laptop away for a day. Because I don't know him that well, what if he installs some keylogger or laptop tracking software, such as PREY (for locating laptops when lost or stolen), he could effectively access all my email accounts, passwords and all my web activity remotely. Any expert advise please?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Personally I wouldn't trust anyone with my laptop and if anyone should want to use it, then they could only use the guest account. I haven't used this free utility, http://www.froggie.sk/, but Id buy a cheap English/Spanish dictionary and have a go myself.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It doesn't sound like a safe solution. To change from Spanish to English would involve the installation of an English language copy of Windows and that wouldn't be free for a legitimate copy.

You would be better to get a Laptop sent out from the UK, but be aware of any differences in the electricity supply between UK and Spain.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'll try the link again, link

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I haven't used this free utility"

To view the page you need to remove the "comma" from the end of the URL :)

http://www.froggie.sk/

Like this post
peterpepe

Likes # 0

@ mgmcc -- he has a legit copy of Windows 7 in English which I am told can convert windows 7 from Spanish to English.

Buying a laptop sent from the UK is only workable as long as it is 100% perfect and doesn't ever breakdown. Any claims under guarantee would be very tricky to sort out because of the cost in post and packing backwards and forwards.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The electricity supplies shouldn't make a difference. The plug for the power supply might be you can get adaptors.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Only Windows 7 Ultimate includes Multilingual User Interface (Language Pack) support. You can then install the English Language Pack from under Regional and Language settings in Control Panel.

You can do an Anytime Upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate which will preserve your personal files and settings:

Learn more: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

A more reassuring link for Vistalizator?

Like this post
peterpepe

Likes # 0

My final question is, even if someone installs a keylogger or tracker software secretly on my laptop, would it be easy to detect such software and remove them? (using Malware Bytes and Spybot Search and Destroy ?) If this can be done, then all I need to do is to do a scan when I get my laptop back. Or it isn't that simple ? I just don't know enough about computers :(

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure how it works if he reformats the Laptop with the English version and you add the keycode that is underneath the Laptop.Microsoft may or may not recognise it if not you would be left with a laptop that you cannot use unless you use another operating system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...