We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where are and how can I delete my backups ?

Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Hello experts !

I had been working very smoothtly with my p.c. until a few months ago I saw a small screen recommending me to backup my files designing a schedule to make periodical backups, which I did.

Now I see my C: is full, I have a total capacity of 464.98 GB and just 16.76 GB free.

How was that possible ? I guess because of the weekly backups I scheduled, so now I wonder where are all my backups and how might I delete them to free space of my C: hardrive ?

Thanks in advance for your help, looking foward to your suggestions.

Best greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

We'd need to know what software you used to create your backups....

Like this post
Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Hello Ian in Northampton:

Thank you very much for dedicating a bit of your time to help me.

When I created my Backup plan I went to Control Panel - System and Security - Backup your computer and I schedule a weekly backup of all my files.

Precisely in that screen is that I can see a blue color, horizontal bar saying at the buttom "16.76 GB free of 464.98 GB"

Waiting for your suggestions, best greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system Windows 7?

backups are saved in this format:

drive letter:\computer name\Backup Set YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS

For example: If your computer name is Antonio-PC, your backup location is on hard drive (network or local) F: , and you backed up on July 9th 2011 at 3:10:38 PM (it will use 24 hour time), then your backup would be located at:

F:\Antonio-PC\Backup Set 2011-07-09 151038

There will be a incremental Backup Files YYYY-MM-DD HHMMSS folder in the Backup Set... folder location above that contains ZIP folders each under 200MB in size. These ZIP folders contain the selected backed up files. If a file that you included to be backed up is larger 200MB then it will be automatically broken up into several pieces each under 200 MB to fit into multiple ZIP files. The pieces are combined back automatically when restored from the backup though.

Backups are created in sets known as backup periods. To help maximize your disk space, Windows Backup backs up all selected folders the first time it's run and then it only backs up files that are new or have been changed since the last scheduled backup was made. Periodically, Windows creates a new, full backup. Each full backup is known as a backup period. When you view your file backups, you see all of the backup periods labelled with date ranges. If you decide to delete file backups, you should always keep the most recent file backup.

By default, Windows automatically saves as many system images as it has space for without taking up more than 30 percent of space on the backup disk. Once the disk starts running out of room, Windows deletes older system images. If a system image was created through Windows Backup instead with the Include a System Image of Drives box checked, you can set Windows to retain as many system images as it has space for on the backup disk or to only keep the most recent system image. You should always keep the most recent system image.

Like this post
Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Hello Fruit Bat:

Thank you very much for dedicating time to help me.

Well, I followed your indications and C:\Antonio... says that all those folders are empty so I guess the backup files are in another place.

On the other hand, when I click on "C:" I see two folders (among many others) one folder says "Program Files" and the other folder says "Program Files (x86)... I wonder what that "x86" means ?

Where else can I look for my backup folders in order to delete them ?

Looking forward to news from you, best greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Those Two folders are where your 64 bit and 32 bit programme files are stored. The x86 suffix is for the 32 bit programmes that run on your PC and I would not touch their contents. I will leave others to explore where your bak up files are, but if I were you I would keep them on another drive in case the main drive has a problem. Greetings to the "Big Apple" from UK!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Antonio Machado

Likes # 0

Hello John Bunyan !

Thanks for your response, I'll check that out.

I puzzles me that those folders appear empty... why then I have my "C:" so congested ?

Where in the U.K. are you my friend ? I wish someday I'll travel to your great country !

Best greetings from the Capital of the World,

Antonio Machado.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You will probably have to enable "Show Hidden files" to be able to see the backup files

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014