We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is my Toshiba Lappy on it's way out??

AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Afternoon Chaps, this Satellite L300 is 3 years old this month,usually powered up 12+ hours each day, not that old, but I've a sneaky feelin' she's dying. Little things, like when I lift the lid to 'wake' it's often 20 seconds before screen ready for password; whatever browser I use when the page has loaded the slide bar on the right doesn't respond for maybe 10-15 seconds; now and then the screen 'flickers' just for a split second. Additionally, my online icon in system tray, it very often shows off-line (no Globes) when I am clearly still ON-line!

What do you think??

AngeTheHippy x

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

What Operating System? Have you regularly had a "spring clean" ie used CCleaner to remove old IE searches etc? Done a defrag?

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Hi John,

Oh yeah, done all that, and regularly. Also thought it prudent over the weekend to put on external HDD everything that would make me hysterical if I lost it. Just looked at the receipt it's actually 3 years old tomorrow. It's in the kitchen throughout the morning then moved to lounge half way through the afternoon, so not set in one place. It never gets hot on the base like the previous laptop I had (an Evesham jobby) which is good, but I don't leave it on the carpet, but on a small table.

Ange x

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Hi Ange Good you have taken the precaution of a back up. 3 Years seems not much. Othres will no doubt comment shortly, and I will also have a think. Are you using XP, Vista or W7? JB

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Hello John, I should've said. It's Vista,250HDD/intel Centrino.

Ange x

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

If you have everything stored on an HDD, I'd be tempted to do a restore to factory setting (assuming it has that facility or restore disks). It can often transform a cluttered machine.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Ange

Have you run the registry cleaner part of CCleaner? Also have you deleted unneccary start up items. Have a read here.

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070221074542AA5ObwT

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

To me, those sound like all the symptoms of a typical Windows machine that, despite everything you do in terms of keeping it clean/tidy, just gets bogged down with crap. I'm with onthelimit: a factory restore (or operating system reinstall) is likely your best way forward. And, if you've a) backed up everything you need, b) got all the drivers to hand, c) got all your application CDs and serial numbers, and d) got a couple of hours to spare - what have you got to lose? ;-)

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

I'm leanin' towards ya on this one, Ian. I've done SO MANY re-installs in the past(not on this Lappy),gets on my nerves but yep, I think prob the way forward with this. I truly HATE doing it. Think I'll wait till I've really GOT to do it, or.. I-CAN'T-STAND-IT-ANYMORE then do it... 8-)

Thanks lads,

Ange xx

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It sounds to me that you may have an awful lot running, possibly not all loading at start-up

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

You and me both, Ange - you and me both... :-( Mac users just don't know what they're missing, do they?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK