We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Please recommend a backup program

charlton200

Likes # 0

At the moment I'm using F Backup4, but it's mirror image is not a mirror image because it doesn't delete what you delete.

My requirement are for a new backup program are.

I only want to back up user accounts.

I would like it to do a mirror image, That adds and deletes if that what has been done since the last backup: so a true mirror image.

I would like to see backup exactly as on my disc, so a picture in my backup folder should be a picture and not a encrypted file.

Thanks

I would prefer it free but if that i would have to buy is recommended, I will consider it.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Try EZBackitup.. free and so far I have found no snags or nasty surprises.

Works from a window like Int. Explorer, or a CD burning window.

You choose which folder or file and drag it to your list. Any order will do, just keep adding

You choose the destination and give the process a name. Click on a green arrow and the rest is done for you.

By default it will overwrite a file that has been changed since the last time, but will not delete anything missing from the backup list on the latest run.

It will ignore any file which has not changed since the last time, and will not make duplicates all over the place. I use it regularly for all data. I don't even try to use it for OS or whole drives of folders. For that sort of backup I use Acronis.

The first time may take a while as it prepares and copies a full list, but the second and later runs will be very fast indeed unless you have piles of fresh data since the first time.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Sorry I overlooked your definition detail about deletion.

While it will overwrite a changed file with the latest data, it will not delete a file already backed up. That still has to be done manually, but it doesn't make duplicates...either .... overwrite or ignore.

It may be possible to set it up to delete, but I haven't found out how!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use Freefilesynch in mirror image mode so that "left (ie my main HD's folder)" is, after synching,is mirrored in the "right" folder (on another drive). I think synchtoy in echo format works as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...