We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you help with checking compatibility and troubleshooting?

alexkearns97

Likes # 0

Hi, I am in the process of sourcing new parts for my PC, which needs an upgrade (or fixing) as it is beginning to show wear and tear (sometimes refuses to work - will expand on this later).

I figured that if I was going to do work on the PC, I might as well upgrade it at the same time.

My current PC specs are:

Motherboard: Asus IPIBL-LB Micro-ATX, Intel G33 Express Chipset, Intel Socket 775, Supports up to 8GB DDR2 Unbuffered Non-ECC RAM (4 Slots, For more information Click Here

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.4GHz - Socket 775

Memory: 3GB DDR2 Unbuffered Non-ECC RAM

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 256MB Graphics Card - HDMI, DVI-I, PCI Express x16

HDD: 360GB 7200-RPM SATA 3GB/sec

Case: Mid Size ATX Computer Case - 2 5.25" Bays, 3 3.5" Bays

Power Supply: 300W

For more information on the PC, Click Here

The problem that I am having with my PC SOMETIMES is that when I turn the computer on, the hard drive light does not blink, the CD drive does not flash, the screen shows a message saying that it is not receiving an active DVI signal, and neither the keyboard or mouse appear to be receiving power. This makes me think that the problem could possibly be the PSU as nothing seems to be receiving power. Another possibility would be the motherboard not working?

If anyone could offer any help, or ideas about why this might not be working sometimes, or how to fix it I would be very grateful! Also, if I was to upgrade the PC, would these parts below be compatible and the best value for money (I mainly use my PC for Photoshop, Dreamweaver). If I installed these components, which PSU would be good to get?

Asus Micro-Atx Motherboard Intel Core i3 Sandy Bridge CPU

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

To check on the PSU rating required you would be wise to use one of the many calculators available.

To test the PSU there are several methods, but be careful and obey all the instructions.

You should also consider checking the security of all connectors and the cleanliness of the inside of the PC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...