We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Epson Printer v Linksys Wireless Adaptor

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just been to setup a new NX 230/SX 235W printer. Printer connects to Dell PC by USB. PC connects to BT Hub via a Linksys W USB 300N adaptor.

When the printer is turned on, the internet connection to PC drops and the wireless icon on PC also disappears. When the printer is turned off, all is restored! I'm baffled - any ideas, please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

He now tells me the icon stays, but the connection still drops. Sorry for the double post - finger trouble!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Must be a conflict between the printer and usb dongle. Why doesn't he try to connect the printer wirelessly. You do not have to set up by USB first.

It is very important to follow the set up instructions in the right order. I suspect you know that but does he?

Could also try downloading the drivers from the Epson site instead os using those supplied on the cd.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Epson support
The Network guide is usually very helpful.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I did go through the setup as per the 'structions. When it got to the choose USB or wireless, chose the USB (which he wanted). Watching the setup, looks as though it went to their website to download the drivers. Really odd - never had a conflict like this before.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Have you tried different USB ports? Clutching at straws here!

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Woolwell - me to, but I'll try when I go back on Wednesday.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You could try something which should have no bearing on it all like changing the wireless channel.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Having further thoughts - are the USB ports adjacent to each other and part of a hub? Is this a power supply problem? What does device manager show for the ports?

What anti-virus and firewall?

System restore to before printer and re-install?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell - taken those on board, and will check when I go tomorrow.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Tried to set up wirelessly - 'wizard cannot complete' etc. Last ditch attempt, changed to different USB port - all set up OK - we live and learn. Thanks for the suggestion, Woolwell.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New Amazon Kindle Fire HD6 and Fire HD7: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room