We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow Google Chrome

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

In say Internet Explorer there is a cache removal procedure, that might help to resolve a slowness of that browser.

Is there one for Google Chrome, because I seem to have a slowness problem, and I cannot find a way to resolve this.

Would mention, that Firefox is not involved, so it's possibly not a computer problem. I use CCleaner and a couple of other programs for the usual maintenance.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What extensions do you have installed? You could try disabling them one by one or all of them and gradually add to see if that cures your speed problem. If Firefox is ok then it points to a problem with Chrome.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

To Clear Chrome History:

Start Chrome

Hit CTL+SHIFT+DEL

Once "Clear Browsing Data" dialogue box opens, change drop down to "the beginning of time"

Tick all boxes.

Hit Clear Browsing Data button.

Job done!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for the help. Just had a bit of a clear out following the instructions give. So its a case of wait and see, if any improvements have been made.

Woolwell: Apparently there are only two extensions - Avast WebRep and Site Advisor. I have left them on, but cannot recall ever loading them, but more likely that I had forgotten about them!.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try disabling site advisor and see what happens. Both Avast (Should be part of Avast Anti-virus)and site advisor do a similar job.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps as a final comment, I have done a little experimenting, and the problem might have been with Site Advisor. At present it as been taken out of service, and Google Chrome now seems much faster.

Thanks to those offering advice, was much appreciated.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I read on a few forums about problems with Site Advisor but mostly about crashing Chrome.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I hadn't bothered to do a search, perhaps I should have done. Since I have 'un-ticked' Site Advisor, Chrome seems to be working much better.

The way Chrome was acting up, I thought that there might have been times when the system would have crashed or 'Not Responding'. But it didn't go that far?.

Seems another one of those mysteries in life, because I get the impression that Site Advisor as been an extension to Chrome for some time now, on my system!.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

The problem appears to have returned, and as I use Chrome mainly for the PCA website, I am beginning to wonder if the problem lies there?.

A typical example this morning, was the amount of 'work or connections' that seems to occur, while waiting for pages to open. On a few occasions there have been delays due to 'Resolving Proxy', then Google etc etc?.

It would appear that I will need to do further experimenting. Thought that those interested might like to have the latest update!.

I had a similar problem using Internet Explorer (latest and previous version) on this website, and I put that down to IE, as other problem reports about IE were being aired. Chrome seemed the most stable on this website, so I commenced using that on the PCA website. So another rethink perhaps!.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Although you maybe moving away from the idea of Site Advisor (SA) being the cause, you might like to consider an alternative for use with Chrome. I use an extension to Chrome called WOT (Web Of Trust). Seems to do the job, but have to say at times it does give widely differing results from SA. Who knows which is more correct!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015