We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External USB drive problem

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have, apparently, gone and committed a stupid and now need some help to enable me to get back a USB external hard drive that has been compromised!

What has happened is that I use my Seagate USB drive as an external backup, because all I have ever wanted from any backup was that it have everything on the partition being backed up and to be done as quickly as possible. After quite a lot of testing – which I won’t bother detailing – I settled on two programmes. The only one that is of concern here is Macrium Reflect. For some time I have been wondering about the difference between cloning a disk and the backup that I was doing. This morning I googled this and it seemed to me that the inference was that cloning was fast and included everything.

So I decided to use Reflect and do a clone!! What a disaster!! What I only found out after the programme finished was that it gave the drive a different letter ( changed it from R:\ to F:\ ), wiped out the sets of backups ( by both programmes ) already on the drive and reduced the available size of the drive to give me a partition F:\ on it with 163 GB of unallocated space. It turns out that this ‘new’ drive F:\ ( which is allocated to a pen drive already ) is now 194 GB of which 153 GB are used, whereas thee partition I was trying out the cloning was my C:\ partition and this has 148 of 193 GB free!!! So what the cloning did I just do not have a clue, except for severely mucking up my external drive. I have managed – using Mini partition tool – to get the drive renamed as R:\ but it is still showing it as 363 GB whereas it should be a 500 GB – or thereabouts anyway – drive. I have since used it to make a backup using the other programme – no compression and C:\ and the backup both being about 48GB in size – but what I want is to get the rest of the drive back as well. I have tried a quick format – not very successfully and would like to know if anyone has any ideas as to how I can get the balance of this drive back. I am not worried about losing my current – and now only – backup on this drive as I have another drive I use alternately so can quite easily backup to that drive if it means I can get the balance of the Seagate back.

Any help/advice/information that anyone can give me will be very gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm afraid I know nothing about Reflect but on the software I use, if you clone a drive then the clone won't show up as a drive with a letter as you already have a drive allocated as c:. If you follow. Now if you removed the original drive and installed the 'clone' drive the PC will boot up as normal as it will 'see' it as the C: drive.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

rdave13.

Thanks for your reply, but I have - fairly obviously, I see now - not made myself clear. I am not interested in the particular backup - by that I mean I may make a CD clone at some point in the future - but what I am interested in is getting back the balance of my USB external drive. It appears to have been reduced to some 363 GB from its original size of 500 GB ( or thereabouts ). I do not know why - and more importantly, in some respects - or how this has happened. All I really want to know is how to get it back to its original size.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Start Run Diskmgmt.msc to re-label the partitions and resize as necessary. (right click a partition for options)

If anything is greyed out, use Partition Wizard or Easeus Partition Master instead.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

robinofloxley,

Many thanks for your tip about using Partition Wizard. I already had Minitool Patition Wizard which turned out - at least to me - to be the same. After some considerable time fiddling around with stuff that I was not 100% sure of what I was doing I have got rid of the 5 - yes 5, and I don't know how they all appeared - and now have 2 partitions. I am not really too worried about this as one is 467.8 GB and the other is 7.8 MB! I will try to get rid of the 7.8 MB but with the size of the other being, apparently, the total available I will not let this worry me. If I can get rid of it then well and good, if not I don't care. So problem sorted and settled and I am sorry I didn't thank you last night, but I was so glad to get the drive sorted that having completed it I just switched off my computer and it wasn't until a couple of hours later that I realised that I hadn't thanked you, so, as I said, many apologies for that and your tip.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK