We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cruzer Vault system.

Furkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, My Son has sent me a Sandisk Cruzer USB Drive for the safety aspect. How do we set it up to keep files secret ?

I have an old Cruzer drive aswell, can we use that in the same way ?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

When you plug the SanDisk into the computer, go to "My Computer" and you should see the SanDisk there along with the drives. It'll say how much room is left on it, if it is a 16gb flash, it may say something like 15gb free. The software to encrypt is probably on the 1gb that is used already assuming you haven't formatted it (in which case you will have deleted the security software)

It should automatically load the software unless you have autoplay disabled. Or if your security is disabling and auto execute files from the SanDisk.

Remove it from the computer, go to the control panel and there should be an option labeled "AutoPlay". Click on that and enable or make sure it is able to use autoplay. Then plug the flash drive back into the computer.

When it comes up to show files, etc. see if there is an option to run and .exe file. If there is then that is your software. If not, then you may have to download from the Sandisk website - it is a file called Cruzer Lock.

Like this post  
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is a guide here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

An alternative is to use something like TrueCrypt but I can't advise on either as I have never used encryption on anything (personal choice) enter link description here

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Cheers N61, Whilst I look at the links etc, do you know if I can copy the software from one Cruzer to another Cruzer ? The new one is 32gb, but I also have a 16gb one.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

To answer my own question, it looks like all Sandisk (possibly all USB ?!) can use the method.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Windows doesn't like partitioned USB Flash.

Something to do with the Removable Media Bit.

Special USB Flash (such as Cruzer) work around it, possibly by a hardware setting on the chip.

If you get any problems copying the old partition to the other one, Linux doesnt care.

gparted Boot CD will do it

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks N61 & RoL:

My older 16gb Cruzer blade will accept the Vault files from the new 32gb one. No other make of drive will allow it though.

Have them both working now.

all the best

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more