We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue screen of death BSOD problem with ntkrnlpa.exe

allanon

Likes # 0

I attach a breakdown of my system.

I keep getting random BSOD and I have used the Driver verifier and the above driver has a probelm, since it keeps crashing when I test it using the verifier.

Can anyone help me?. I have tried reinstalling windows however the problem started again. The system seems to crash with a "dump of physical memory " message. Any ideas?

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

3.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X4 640 512 kilobyte primary memory cache 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (4 total) Not hyper-threaded

Board: ASRock N68C-S UCC Bus Clock: 200 megahertz BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.20 04/23/2010

3584 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

This file is linked to the Microsoft service packs. I suggest you try to download the service packs as administrator.

It looks as if the original file has been corrupted and as all the other updates can see the file they have not replaced it.

Instead of using the update service pack, download the administrator version (full version) see link

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/205953/create-your-own-official-xp-service-pack-3-disc

and install from there, you may have to unload the SP3 from control panel first.

Terry

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I have used the Driver verifier and the above driver has a probelm, since it keeps crashing when I test it using the verifier...."

I think you've drawn the wrong conclusions there as ntkrnlpa.exe is not a driver. Therefore, its integrity is not checked when you run the Microsoft Driver Verifier utility. What's probably happening is that when it encounters a corrupt driver, it crashes ntkrnlpa.exe. If ntkrnlpa.exe was corrupt then it's likely that Windows wouldn't work at all.

If you're talking about a different driver verifier then let us know which one it is.

Anyhow, regarding your random BSODs, download and run BlueScreenView which is a tool that'll hopefully identify the cause of your problem. In the top pane, double-click on the most recent entry to view the details in a new window. Copy and paste the following details:

Bug Check String

Parameters 1, 2, 3, and 4

Caused by driver

Check the other recent BSODs, and if they're not identical, post details for the last three occurrences.

"The system seems to crash with a "dump of physical memory " message. Any ideas?.."

When Windows suffers a catastrophic failure and displays a BSOD, information about the event is written to a file - that's what it's doing when you see the "dump of physical memory" message. That file is then saved on your PC so you can view the details with tools such as BlueScreenView.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

......apologies for my previous post. I don't know how I missed it but ntkrnlpa.exe is listed as an XP driver in Driver Verifier so you can move on to the other parts of my post. Hopefully the information you provide will help determine the cause of your troublesome BSODs.

Like this post
allanon

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the advice, but I would add that you do not appear to be able to reove service pack 3 by the remove prog in the control panel, or am I missing something?. I have downloaded the BlueScreenview and I will check the same once another dreaded BSOD oocurs

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I have downloaded the BlueScreenview and I will check the same once another dreaded BSOD oocurs"

There's no need to wait for a new BSOD as the previous ones should have been automatically saved on your PC ready for you to view at any time. Or are you saying that on opening BlueScreenView, its top pane is empty?

Like this post
allanon

Likes # 0

Sorry I've opened Blueview and there is nothing in either pane???. I assume as soon as you start the same up it should obtain the data?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

PC may not be set to save these files see this guide

Like this post
allanon

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel, I have finally managed to make a note of the info you asked for. Computer crashes randomly all the time now

BUG CHECK STRING 1RQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL Parameter 1 0X000000a 2 0x0000004 3 0x0000001 4 0x80502302 Caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe Caused by address ntoskrnl.exe+2b302

Any ideas how to fix this?. I am thinking of buying a sledgehammer and undertaking some therapy with the PC!!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Computer crashes randomly all the time now..."

Apart from the address in parameter #4, are all your other BSODs the same? If they're not, then as per my previous post, post a couple more by copying and pasting the info.

"BUG CHECK STRING 1RQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL .......Caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe"

ntoskrnl is a core XP system file. If it was corrupt then your PC wouldn't work at all, so even though it's mentioned as the culprit, I think something else is causing your problems.

Because your problems started again after re-installing Windows, it could be a hardware problem. Here are a couple of things to try:

1) Do an XP disk check by right-clicking your C: drive icon in My Computer -> Properties -> "Tools" tab -> "Check Now" button. Tick both boxes and answer yes when it asks if you want to schedule the check for the next boot. Restart your PC and the check should start automatically. It could take a couple of hours or so on a large drive so be patient.

2) Check your PC's RAM. You can use Microsoft's Windows Memory Diagnostic bootable CD if you don't have any tools of your own. After creating your own CD, start the PC with it and the memory check will start automatically. Allow it to complete at least two passes. If it doesn't find anything then run the extended tests.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

As pointed out by SS the ntoskrnl.exe is a main stay of your OS This could have been changed or damaged by a W32.Bolzano virus.

Its unknown what protection you are useing but more details can be seen at http://www.liutilities.com/malware/computer-virus/w32-bolzano/

read the full details which also refers to ntoskrnl.exe

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more