We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

desktop wired connection

spook88
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

Have just bought a new windows 7 desktop p.c to replace old dell which was running on windows xp which connected to the web via a sagem dial up modem from tiscali at the time(now talktalk) which the telephone cable goes into the back of to get online.

But i see on back of the new pc tower there is only an ethernet port - so my question is do i need to by a router even though i do not want the desktop to go wireless only wired?

Is the sagem modem still viable to work with windows 7?

*If so any suggestions on make/models

Thanks for any advice on this

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Is your existing service (tiscali, now talktalk) broadband (using a single user broadband modem that connected to your old PC via a USB cable OR is it real old-fashioned very slow dial-up which actually dials a proper telephone number each time you connect?

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

hi, yes it is very old and dial up system on broadband via tiscali/talktalk dialing a set number each time.

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

....which makes me think i need to get a wired router perhaps?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

If it is dialing a proper telephone number (e.g. like 0800... or 0845... or 0844.....) then surely it isn't broadband?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The majority are wireless routers these days whether or not you wish to use the wireless facility - but you may at some later stage.

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

it dials 0,38 each time

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

...it is broadband though!

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Ok, so it is broadband. Then I guess the connection from the sagem box to the old computer was via USB. Is that right?

If so, why can't you just do the same for your new PC or will the software that came with the sagem box not work in Win 7? In which case, your best bet is to buy an ADSL modem / router and connect to your PC via network cable (i.e. Ethernet)

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

yes, that's what i am thinking as whether it will work on new one with the old software really - would there be any difference in terms of connection quality?

Like this post
spook88

Likes # 0

..yes you are right - it is via USB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites