We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot resume recovery backup creation

Markito

Likes # 0

I have an HP Compaq laptop (using Windows XP Pro) and am trying to create a set of backup recovery disks. I was informed that I would need either 14 CDs or 3 DVDs, so I chose the latter. The message also said that the backup would resume where I left off if I didn't record all in one session. So, the first DVD recorded completely and correctly. But the next day, on inserting a second DVD and trying to resume where I had left off, the computer said that it was DVD No 1, not No. 2.

How can I convince my computer to recognise that it has already recorded one third and to resume with DVD number 2?

Many thanks for any help with this.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The resume function may only be for a temporary halt, not till next day.

Make them all in one go. If a verify option is available, use it.

Note that optical discs, as well as the hard drive recovery partition, can be corrupted with time.

While you can only make one set of Manufacturer's Factory Recovery Discs, there is nothing to stop you cloning the 1st set for belt and braces peace of mind.

If you have an external hard drive, you can also make System Images (with a Boot CD) of the current state of your system and everything on it, including Windows.

This means that the Factory Recovery discs really are only needed as an absolute last resort.

Easeus Todo backup is one suitable app.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thank you Robin. It's a pity that the first DVD took almost 2 hours to record, so that was time wasted...but obviously my fault.

It seems I'll have to start again, obviously first thing in the morning and lose the use of my laptop for more or less the day.

(I don't have an external hard drive.)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July