We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google's new Terms And Conditions.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Remember the emails and pop-ups, some are still going on. Just twigged. Use you-tube (now called vevo) and if you replay you still have to use your bandwidth as the video is no longer saved to temp folder. So if you like a certain tune and wish to play again remember it downloads every time. Godoodlcon lives.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ran the same video in Vevo's site and once the video finished thinkbroadband meter still showed downloading continuing. So those of you with small download caps be aware. 10 GB won't last long.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly I've posted in the wrong forum and should have posted in consumerwach?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The 't' was deliberately 'missed' for some reason...:(

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm struggling to understand all that info, me being dumb about who's who :(

In the meantime I found this

"Google owns YouTube, and that Vevo – by extension – has some Google ballast behind it."

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, Being dumb myself I don't understand your post. So we're square there.

What I'm trying (very hard) to put over is that if you streamed from You Tube, in the olden days, you could, if you didn't leave the page, play the same video again, through your temporary folder, without having to stream/download again. You can't do it now even on the same opened page.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try it?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ah, I see. Nothing in my temp, That's sneaky

I think all this streaming is going to start costing in the next few years not just bandwidth from ISP charges but also the channels that are now free/low cost subscription - can see all that changing once 'they' get us used to receiving stuff on demand.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, exactly. I think I'll see a time where I'll go back to postal bills and not bother with the internet. Paying £18 a month for nothing and extra billing will put me off. Things seem to be changing for the worst again as the money grabbers, greedy outfits, are destroying a good thing, even worse than the pirates.

Time to take stock and think if things are heading the Google/You Tube and Vevo way, then the monthly bill from the ISP might not be worth it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Update. Strange as it seems the video that's streamed is still in a temporary folder somewhere. Once the video is streamed then the play icon changes to the refresh icon in the player. If you click that then it streams again.

Now in the player's streaming bar (for want of a better word) just drag the button back to the start and you can watch the video again without any downloading. I'm puzzled to what is going on and where the temp folder is for these streamed vids? Any ideas?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think I'll try disconnecting from internet and then attempt to play vid again and see what happens.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today