We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive not recognised by Windows

Luca M

Likes # 0

Need a bit of help on an issue with an Internal SATA 2.5" Hard Drive.

I have removed this drive from a working laptop which had a dual boot of Linux and Windows on it. I would like to use the hard drive for another application however when I have inserted it into a USB caddy, the hard drive is not recognised at all by windows (bar the icon in the corner saying that the device had been successfully installed). The Hard drive is no where to be seen in Windows Explorer.

I have tried to use some free hard drive partition/recovery program which can see the hard drive, however it has greyed out all options of a reformat, repartition and so on.

Does anyone have any ideas which I can try?

The hard drive, when returned to the laptop, will boot perfectly into Windows and Linux.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"a lot of bad sectors" a few is normal, is it able to repair the bad sectors? but if there are a lot then sounds like the drive could fail at any time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers