We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive not recognised by Windows

Luca M

Likes # 0

Need a bit of help on an issue with an Internal SATA 2.5" Hard Drive.

I have removed this drive from a working laptop which had a dual boot of Linux and Windows on it. I would like to use the hard drive for another application however when I have inserted it into a USB caddy, the hard drive is not recognised at all by windows (bar the icon in the corner saying that the device had been successfully installed). The Hard drive is no where to be seen in Windows Explorer.

I have tried to use some free hard drive partition/recovery program which can see the hard drive, however it has greyed out all options of a reformat, repartition and so on.

Does anyone have any ideas which I can try?

The hard drive, when returned to the laptop, will boot perfectly into Windows and Linux.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Right click My Computer and select Manage Click on disk management

Is the drive listed there and if so does it have a drive letter?

Drives without drive letters will not show up in My Computer.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Screenshots here of how to SHOW your drive letter enter link description here

Like this post
Luca M

Likes # 0

I do not get a letter to the drive. It has reported a 'Cyclic Redundancy Check' error. Seems odd as the drive still boots and I can access everything.

I do not need to access the data, just format.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Boot into Windows on the working machine with it and Start Run diskmgmt.msc

Right partition and select Tools/Properties/Check for errors.

Repeat for each partition. (reboot will be necessary for c:)

Put back in caddy and run Disk Management again. If drive letters needed, right click again and see if Change Drive Letter is allowed.

I don't know which partition software you ahve tried but Mini-Tool Partition Wizard or Easeus Partition Master can also be tried.

Often greying out will affect one of your three methods but maybe not others.

If worst comes to worst, right click and delete partitions and then create new in the Unallocated space.

The 3rd party apps also allow formatting if needed.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The hard drive, when returned to the laptop, will boot perfectly into Windows and Linux. AND I do not need to access the data, just format.

I am a bit confused as to what you are saying - if it is booting normally into windows and you don't need the data why can't you just format the drive when it is in the laptop?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Er, you can't format the drive while you are using the Op sys on it, it won't/can't let you. If it did it would wipe the instruction to format......

However you could boot up into an installation CD/DVD and format drive from there or delete the partition.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Is the drive getting enough power via the usb caddy? I have a couple of external sata drives and on one of them I have to plug in both the usb connectors to get enough power to the drive.

Like this post
Luca M

Likes # 0

In reply to northumbria61, I didn't think you could format a drive when it is running as the master drive in the laptop?

Like this post
Luca M

Likes # 0

@lotvic, that is what I thought. I am going to try booting with it in to an install cd and see if I can format it that way. Will let you know how I get on.

Like this post
Luca M

Likes # 0

Ok, it would seem that after trying to format the drive with the linux installer disc, it seems to format fine, however when returning it to the caddy, the drive still does not work. After using EASUS it seems that there are a lot of bad sectors. Any software I can try before I go and buy a new HD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia