We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New comp recieved quad core, advise please..

jacobjohn7
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently bought this machine.. Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545 3D Gaming 160GB 2GB

All sounds brill processor wise, but only issue is I feel it may need another 2gb of RAM as only 2 in at present. Please could someone advise what type i need for it? and best place to go for it,.. economy and quality... thankyou

I ask as wanted to run shogun 2, which has run fine, but on playing it froze on a screen (curser still moved though) not sure whether this would be software fault or prob with handling ability of hardware (but presume spec should eat it for breakfast!) ...any ideas/issues?

Additionally, and last question, i have an odd occurance since plugging in old keyboard etc.. when I want to type the @ sign, when i press relevant key.. speech marks come up instead... then I deduced that maybe the speech marks was the @ sign and it was.. I just dont know why? cheers all.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm guessing that this is an e-Bay purchase of a used ex-large company system, as those processors are normally used for servers, with a new graphics card. Original manufacturer was HP. The settings should permit UK keyboard layout.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Probably this machine HP XW6200 Specs

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

well, i've ordered 2 more gb of ram for this machine.. Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545 3D Gaming any help/guidance/links for fitting these? I have done so in my kids old e-machine which was fairly straight forward just click in place... but a bit more worried with it being the main comp which has just recently replaced my dead one. cheers all

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

change keyboard language XP pro

control panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages tab and click on Details button and you can change to the UK keyboard.

Like this post  
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

i've got 2 more gb of ram for this machine (2 x 1).. Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545 any help/guidance/links for where to look for fitting these?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Same as you did on other pc - just click in place

video shows how to fit ram http://www.youtube.com/embed/mGTT0Vcy0E4

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more