We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New comp recieved quad core, advise please..

jacobjohn7
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently bought this machine.. Dual Xeon HT Core Quad (4)x 3.6GHz New HD545 3D Gaming 160GB 2GB

All sounds brill processor wise, but only issue is I feel it may need another 2gb of RAM as only 2 in at present. Please could someone advise what type i need for it? and best place to go for it,.. economy and quality... thankyou

I ask as wanted to run shogun 2, which has run fine, but on playing it froze on a screen (curser still moved though) not sure whether this would be software fault or prob with handling ability of hardware (but presume spec should eat it for breakfast!) ...any ideas/issues?

Additionally, and last question, i have an odd occurance since plugging in old keyboard etc.. when I want to type the @ sign, when i press relevant key.. speech marks come up instead... then I deduced that maybe the speech marks was the @ sign and it was.. I just dont know why? cheers all.

Like this post
bobbybowls

Likes # 0

change your key board to uk settings. control panel- region and language. then download one of these http://majorgeeks.com/AIDA32-PersonalSystemInformation_d181.html http://majorgeeks.com/EvonsoftSystemInfo_d4871.html http://majorgeeks.com/SIWSystemInfo_d4387.html it will tell you whats in your pc.then we can advise you on an upgrade.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Or you could download the Crucial scanner and this will tell you exactly what you need. Crucial

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 1

Another vote for Crucial, excellent company who will exchange ram if not compatible.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Change your keyboard in control panel, regions

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

checked in control panels its already set as UK... cheers perhaps it needs software/driver installing?

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Keyboard setting must be consistent with keyboard layout if characters are to be displayed as presented on the keyboard. If your keyboard settings are UK and the @ and " characters do not diplay in accordance with key annotations, then you probably have a US keyboard. For UK standard, the " is above 2 and @ is above '. For US they are the other way round.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

yeah its a UK keyboard, and all peripheral devices are my old ones from previous comp. Replaced tower and now the keys come out in reverse... I just have to adapt my typing at present, but kind of annoying, when i go into control panels theres isn't really a relevant menu for the region. I'm on XP pro OS. if any help.

Like this post
jacobjohn7

Likes # 0

PS what would you guys have your virtual paging memory set at... may improve things RAM wise intially... its very fast the machine as it is.. but wanted to improve graphic settings on shogun 2 as it freezes sometimes on higher graphics, and works fine on low settings. Obviously 2 more gb of ram bunged in would help this issue.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The default and recommended size of Virtual Memory is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory - see here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Although you have been given good advice about the Crucial scanner for your RAM I would download SIW from here which will give you all the information about your PC for the future enter link description here (Freeware Version)

Once you have have obtained the info.you require either from Crucial or SIW you can always shop around for the best price.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added