We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old Desktop keeps rebooting after new software- Help!!

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have an old desktop pc with xp and i've just tried to use a wireless dongle and the pc restarted and keeps restarting and wont go to Safe mode or any similar options. Please may i ask for some help?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Do you have a XP disk and perhaps do a repair install?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Yes i do, phew!! Please could you give me a link to some easy instructions of how to do it?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

First boot up and press the correct key to get into BIOS.

Change boot order to CD first

Insert XP into the drive and re-boot computer

Accept all settings until you get to Blue screen 'Terms and Conditions'

Pres F8 to continue then press ESC for advanced mode.

If you have data you want to keep, select the REPAIR option otherwise select the drive you want to install on and delete the partition.

Be careful to choose the correct drive and partition as this is NOT reversible.

Full instructions are on the screen.

Terry

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

If Repair is not one of the options, you should press to Quit. This usually means that the version of Windows on the CD does not match the one already installed.

Ermmmm.....i dont get the 'r' option on using both my XP and XP Pro discs.......what on earth do i do now please? What does this mean? (It IS XP though)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Just to make sure that you have done all the right things have a look at this: Repair XP.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

i dont get the 'r' option on using both my XP and XP Pro discs

means it can't find the windows installation on your disks.

At what point is it restarting?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Sorry for the delay. In restarts after the Windows XP logo has been on for maybe 10 seconds (Which is usually just when it continues to the desktop)

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Buel, am I right in assuming that you installed some drivers for a new wireless dongle and from that moment on you've had that problem? If so then read on:

I appreciate that you can't get into Safe Mode. However, are you able to get to the menu that lists these options? If you are then select "Disable automatic restart on system failure". Now, that won't fix your problem but I'm hoping that the boot process will halt at a blue screen. If it does then I'm interested in the name of the driver that caused the crash - it'll hopefully be listed and it's usually a filename that ends in .sys.

If we can determine which driver is playing up then we can use your XP CD to load the Recovery Console and tell Windows to disable that driver.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello there and a huge thank you for the great help!! Ok, i did as you suggested, this is all i got on the blue screen (in my vague terms):

UNMOUNTABLEBOOTVOLUME A message tells me that if this is the first time this has happened i should restart. Then it tells me that i should check if there is any new hardware or software installed (This is where i shouted "THERE IS BUT YOU WONT LET ME SEE IT") Then a message saying that i should disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. Then this: *STOP: 0X000000ED (0X8A3E 0900, 0XC000009C, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Does this help at all?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...