We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

best free registry cleaner

Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Any recommendations for downloading a free registry cleaner?

Is one likely to be useful? Any disadvantages?

Windows is getting increasingly slow on my PC, might a registry cleaner speed it up?

Thanks a lot, Laurence F, Dell PC, Windows XP Service Pack 3

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

Glad to help - Sorry - here is the missing article.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

I've used CCleaner dozens of times and never had a problem. If unsure, run just the Temp files etc cleaning mode. It usually makes a significant difference to an older PC that's never been tidied up.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

I fully agree with Terry Brown, difarn and onthelimit1. CCleaner is a very good tool in general, and it's registry cleaning function has never caused me a problem. On the other hand other more agressive registry cleaners I have tried have caused severe problems. I strongly urge you to heed the advice the others have given. If you like to keep things "tight" , it may be worth using Revo (free) uninstaller to uninstall progrannes as it seems to clear out more "debris" than the Windows one.

Like this post
p;3

Likes # 1

Yo do not say what Protection ,if any, you have on that computer and when you last ran full scans ?

As for Registry Cleaners, it is really preferable to try to see what programs you do not still need and uninstall them via Add or Remove Programs than throw a Registry Cleaner at it as you may get rid of far more than you might wish!!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Lawrence WM. I would add Superantipyware (similar to Malawarebytes but sometime finds ad awaware tracking cookies better) and Spywareblaster - it purports to block malware without interfereing with your anti virus . Both these are free. I am sure MSE is fine. As a seperate issue, I assume you run regular back ups - maybe on another drive?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 1

do not use ccleaner reg check if you have ms office free starter edition 2010, it cannot cope with the Q partition. if you do use this function deselect all the Q entries.

Like this post
p;3

Likes # 1

You say that the Windows version is running 'slowly'?

What do you mean by 'slowly'?

How much RAM does it have and how much free Hard Drive Disc Space as insufficient RAM for the purpose and /or a getting full Hard Drive Space can help to slow things down..

Like this post
p;3

Likes # 1

You may find a read of this article about how to clear your Temporary Internet files etc helpful ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Lawrence WM. Re back ups. Maybe your data (photos, music, rtc would fit on a memory stick, but I meant also a complete back up of the whole system in case of a Hard disc failure or incurable virus. Having to reinstall from scratch is such a pain in view of updates etc. I am surprised there is room on a memory stick for a full back up by a programme such as Acronis True Image.

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot, p;3. I have deleted the files.

Thanks a lot, John. Please do tell me exactly how to do what you recommend.

Cheers, Laurence

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...