We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

best free registry cleaner

Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Any recommendations for downloading a free registry cleaner?

Is one likely to be useful? Any disadvantages?

Windows is getting increasingly slow on my PC, might a registry cleaner speed it up?

Thanks a lot, Laurence F, Dell PC, Windows XP Service Pack 3

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 1

Only one for me - and that is CCleaner the free one is OK to use with the standard defaults.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

I agree that CC Cleaner is excellent but I would advise you to be very cautious about using registry cleaners. If you have a known problem then they can be very useful but there is always the danger that they could do more harm than good.

Have you had a look at optimizing Windows 7 - have a look at this article and have a go at a bit of the "housekeeping" it suggests.

It is particularly important that you keep drivers up to date and have the latest versions of installed programmes.

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot, wiz-king and difarn.

Difarn (or someone else) what is the possible harm that a reputable cleaner might do, please?

I'll have a look at the housekeeping, thanks, although I have XP, not 7.

Cheers, Laurence F

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot, wiz-king and difarn.

Difarn (or someone else) what is the possible harm that a reputable cleaner might do, please?

I'll have a look at the housekeeping, thanks, although I have XP, not 7.

Cheers, Laurence F

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 1

The damage that any cleaner the removes files is that it can remove files it believes are not required and they are required for another program that is not reconised by the cleaner.

Unless the system is giving you trouble (not starting) or you believe you have a serious registry problem.

Leave it alone.

Cleaning it will make negligible difference to the speed of your system and might even slow it down.

Terry

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

The registry holds every setting, all configurations, and basically tells the system what to do. If the registry is messed up then the system can be made inoperable.

There are times when you have to resort to a registry clean and a back up should always be made - where you should be cautious is using them on a regular basis for no apparent reason. Have a look at this article which goes into the pitfalls in great dept.

CC Cleaner does perform a registry clean but it has other functions too - you can uninstall unwanted programmes from there and generally clear temporary internet files, cookies etc.

I am attaching an article about optimizing XP - these are all recognised tweaks and you can decide which, if any, you want to do.

Like this post
Laurence WM

Likes # 0

Thanks a lot, Terry and difarn. Interesting opinions: I will investigate and decide carefully.

Difarn - thanks for all of this generous help. Did you actually attach the article? If so, where should I find it?

Cheers again, Laurence

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

Glad to help - Sorry - here is the missing article.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

I've used CCleaner dozens of times and never had a problem. If unsure, run just the Temp files etc cleaning mode. It usually makes a significant difference to an older PC that's never been tidied up.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

I fully agree with Terry Brown, difarn and onthelimit1. CCleaner is a very good tool in general, and it's registry cleaning function has never caused me a problem. On the other hand other more agressive registry cleaners I have tried have caused severe problems. I strongly urge you to heed the advice the others have given. If you like to keep things "tight" , it may be worth using Revo (free) uninstaller to uninstall progrannes as it seems to clear out more "debris" than the Windows one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks