We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tracing who accessed my hotmail, etc

MikeAuck

Likes # 0

Hi there. (1) I have deleted some e-mails from the year 2009 from my hotmail account. Is there any way or software to bring back those e-mails that have been deleted? (2) I also suspect that my hotmail account has been hacked. Is there any software or way to find out or trace who has been accessing my hotmail account? (3) I also thought of suspending my hotmail account to prevent fraudulent use but I want to keep my hotmail account in case I need to access my old e-mails. Is there a way of doing this instead of cancelling my hotmail account? Thanks, hope you can help.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Change your password !

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Your best action is simply to learn from this, and do what it takes to properly secure your account. Typically that means not sharing your password with anyone, and choosing difficult to guess passwords, and where appropriate, difficult to guess answers to your "secret question". In my opinion it also means not using FREE email accounts for anything sensitive or important.

But as markd71 says above - change your password and make it a STRONG one (ie: uppercase/lowercase or a mixture of letters and numbers - substitute the 0 (zero) for letter O etc.)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Tracking down who logged into your account is highly unlikely. There are at least two huge issues at play here:

MSN Hotmail may simply not keep that information. I mean, that's a lot of data that they would have to track, given the millions of subscribers and millions upon millions of logins that happen every day. From a purely practical point of view, I can't imagine them keeping that information, or if they do, keeping it for any length of time.

But, having said that, it's certainly possible that they do, BUT

They're not about to give that information to just anyone. In fact, I would be very concerned if they did give it if you simply asked. There are major privacy and security issues that result if they were to provide that information easily. There may even be possible legal liability issues for MSN if they responded to that type of request.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I regularly hear of problems with hotmail but rarely, if at all, with gmail.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Not sure, but someone in the know might have the correct answer. But I do believe (by law) that any information now as to be retained by the people providing the service. For how long and how this applies, I am not sure.

Like this post
bluemoon69

Likes # 0

Yes Woolwell is correct. I use to be with Hotmail and change my password very often and it was hacked, also most of my friends have been hacked. If you want to have free email account then again i agree with Woolwell and Gmail i have not herd of any problems and have been with them now for a long time. Many IP's these days supply you with email accounts and i am also using mine.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

spuds - "But I do believe (by law) that any information now as to be retained by the people providing the service. For how long and how this applies, I am not sure."

Yes you are correct in saying that the information (by law) has to be retained by the service provider. Not certain but I believe it is for a period of 12 months. However the chances of it being given out to "Joe Bloggs" is NIL and I think I am right in saying only for legal purposes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...