We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building your own workstation

kultigin

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I want to build a workstation from the start for very fast(and also high quality) video editing(exporting) with Premiere Pro CS5.5. The workstation has to be as strong as a Mac Pro 12-core or a HP Z600/Z800 workstation, but has too cost way less than these two. My budget is between 1000-3000euro. Firstly, is it possible to put two cpu's inside a motherboard that supports dual cpu, and if yes, will the computer then work the same like a 2x6cores Mac Pro or a HP Z600/Z800(so it will not become a server pc but a workstation)? And will this self-build workstation work correctly and not have unfixable crashes or bugs?

Which hardware components do you recommend?

I want to build a workstation with these settings: -a good motherboard(which does not get broken all the sudden)(not too expensive) on which you can upgrade components in the future -two six-core processors
-24gb ram
-Quadro 2000 or 4000 graphics card
-1, 2 or 3 x ssd harddisk
-possible raid controller -and more...

-Which motherboard(not too expensive) will work the best like a 2x6-core Mac Pro or a HP Z600/Z800?

-I am thinking about buying one(one pair) of these Intel Xeon Processors: X5690, X5675, X5660. Which one should be enough for fast exporting(and high quality) in Premiere Pro? And is it possible to use two I7 processors like a dual processor in a workstation? If yes, will the two I7 processors work as good as two Xeon processors? Is the best I7-processor as good as an Xeon processor?

-Which brand(and which speed) of RAM memory should i buy which works fastest for 24 gb(should i buy it 6x4gb or 3x8gb?)? Should 16gb of RAM also be enough for video editing?

-I dont want to spend too much money on a graphics card. Will there really be a big difference in performance(video encoding speed and video encoding output quality) between a Quadro 2000 or other high-end cards like Quadro 4000 or 5000?

-Will Premiere Pro work good with only one ssd harddisk(100-200gb) and without a raid controller? If not, do i really need multiple ssd harddisks(+raid controller) for faster video-editing? Which brand ssd harddisk should i buy?

-Which other hardware components should i buy? Will a 600watt powersupply be enough?

-Which shop has a reliable reputation with selling hardware(which are completely new and not used) components, and where can i find the actual lowest price of each component?

-Where/How can i get a warranty(guarantee) for the expensive processors(and the other expensive components), if something goes wrong during installation of the cpu's in the motherboard(or if the cpu's were broken before i even have opened them? Does Intel provide such a warranty(guarantee)?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home