We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hotmail and Windows Live

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

As the family computing guru (hah!) my sister sent me the following question. As I don't use, and know nothing about, either Hotmail or Windows Live, not only can I not answer her question - I don't even understand the question...

Perhaps someone else does - and can:

"As you know, I do my e mails through Hotmail which I access through MSN.

But sometimes, if I do a 'contact us' thing through a website, my message seems to go through Windows Live. But (again!) I have no record of 'sent' items this way and sometimes don't get a reply. Now I know that sometimes, occasionally, people might not want to reply to me (faint, shock, horror!!) but it would be nice to see what I've sent and when. Most recently asking Chiltern Railways for a refund which is time critical. Yes, I could phone and will probably have to, but what is this Windows Live thing? I looked on Google and it said to download something but surely it's the 'same' as Hotmail, isn't it?"

Can anyone help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

WLM is a client like the old Outlook so you can manage your Emails. Have a look here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I have a few Hotmail accounts and use WLM to monitor the emails. You have a list of folders including 'sent' mail etc and you can create other folders. Just to confuse matters I use Windows Live Messenger (set to offline to others) to notify me of new emails via a pop-up near the notification area. You can open Windows Live Mail from the icon in the command bar in Internet Explorer.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

That's very helpful, rdave - many thanks. Have relayed to my sister. I suspect that won't be the last we hear about it, though... :-(

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

She appears to be using webmail most of the time. However the contact through a website will open the default e-mail client which in this case appears to be Windows Live Mail. The sent e-mail should be found in WLM. WLM must have been set up for an e-mail account otherwise the e-mail would not have been sent.

Don't get confused between Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Mail. As far as I am aware Windows Live Hotmail is Hotmail under a different name.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Sorry, Woolwell, didn't see this. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen